• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

flintlock double barrel shot guns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hi Guys
Ok does anyone know were I can find a replica double barrel flintlock shot gun? Does anyone make them? If not why not? We have seen various orginals but who can afford one of those...
Thanks Loyalist Dawg :hatsoff:

I don't know of any company making replica double flinters. There are some builders here on the Forum that can make you one, bit it isn't going to be $500-$600.

Check out the smooth bore section Mike Brooks just finished one for a customer I belive its called (Just off the bench)

Some of this is folks arnt used to seeing flint dbl's . The perc dbl is more common place and in peoples minds I think anyhow. Guys like us that hang out here like em and would like to own one of them flinters though :front:

I have a flint double that David Dodds,Selinsgrove,Pennsylvania, made for me with Ron Ehlert doing the engraving and checkering.It's a duplicate of an American 1810 gentlemen's double made in New York.I've handled the original,and the contemporary is much heavier simply because the barrels are 12ga with a 20ga bore.Full turkey choke on the left,modified choke on the right.If you have one made my suggestion is to reverse the barrels and have the full choke on the right,modified or cyl or whatever on the left.This is opposite of modern HAMMERLESS shotguns,but with a hammer gun you have to reach up and cock the second barrel or run the risk of both barrels tripping on the first shot.It's much,much easier to fire the left barrel and reach STRAIGHT up to back the second hammer.Otherwise you'll complicate things for yourself having to reach ACROSS the right hammer to back the left.This is my opinion based on a couple years' experience killing turkeys (easy) and pheasants (difficult).Mine is far too heavy for a wing gun shooting birds.(Remember,when a Southerner says "birds",he's talking about quail). This heavy barrel problem is presently being corrected by Ed Rayle who's making me a light weight set of 16ga barrels with the left barrel being cyl and the right barrel being one ten thousandth choked.I think that little bit of choke will give me a few more feet and put a few more birds in the sack.

Doubles are great fun,but if you have even a simple one made you'll have to add a zero to the above mentioned figures.Dave says it's twice as hard as making a single barrel anything,and the barrels are about three times more expensive than singles. ::

There was a previous post on this subject last month. Cost was reportedly in the $2,500 range. The pictures were beautiful, but have no personal knowledge about his guns. Because I would like one someday, I wrote down the name and phone number;

Richard Smith
(352)748-7373
Florida

Dawg,

G'day from Down Under! If you find someone to make you a good quality one at a reasonable price, PLEASE let me know. I have been enquiring here lately for a repro DB flint gun and also drawn a big fat zero. (I think Pedersoli may make a DB flint rifle.) If I wasn't already building a .22LR Gatling Gun and a 1/5 scale Kitson-Meyer live steam locomotive, I might be tempted to try my own!

IMHO - IF you can get an original, they are too rare and expensive to risk damage of any sort by shooting them!

Gunmaker Mike - roughly how much would you charge for a pretty basic DB flintlock shotgun using only best quality components? Thanks,

Pete.

Thanks Deforester.
I have a Navy arms fouler. I have a "blast with it". I want to try a flint double because my Bess the second shot is tooo slow. The other fellas have gave me some leads and I will try and follow them up. I would even like it if there was a conversion or a kit gun out there some were.The manufacture maybe missing an opportunity here. A lot of our types would purchase one... Maybe even a cap gun...
Loyalist Dawg

Here's the link of the pictures of the double flint gun I just finished. Double flint poke here
Here's a link to one I built 5 or six years ago.
Poke here to see the other one.
These run in the $3500-$4000 price range. If somebody wants to build them cheaper than that, more power to them.
Ed Rayle is making modern steel barrels for them now at $1000 a pair.

WOW Mike that is beautiful.... That is just lovely... At least now I know the cost and why they are not that common. The pics you have there also tell why the cost. That certainly is out of my price range. The piece however is truly a rare work of art. You sir are an artist... Thank you for my enlightenment... In awe Loyalist Dawg :hatsoff:

IMHO - IF you can get an original, they are too rare and expensive to risk damage of any sort by shooting them!
I shoot an original English 18 bore Bilby Hyde & Co. ca. 1815 or there abouts. I've probably got about $1800 wrapped up in it. Here's the link if you want to see it.
POKE HERE FOR A PEEK
I saw a flint Henry Nock double 20 bore for sale at Friendship last week for $2750. I'm guessing it could have been had for $2500.
They are out there, you just have to find them. :winking:

I shoot an original English 18 bore Bilby Hyde & Co. ca. 1815 or there abouts.

Nice gun but oooer, I think I see a problem :shocking:

The tail of the steel doesn't look like it's hitting the spring, if it stops when the toe hits the bottom of the pan then sooner or later something's going to break.

best regards

Squire Robin

I shoot an original English 18 bore Bilby Hyde & Co. ca. 1815 or there abouts.

Nice gun but oooer, I think I see a problem :shocking:

The tail of the steel doesn't look like it's hitting the spring, if it stops when the toe hits the bottom of the pan then sooner or later something's going to break.

best regards

Squire Robin
When I recieved that gun it had been converted to percussion and the ribs were lifting off. There was a guy out in Kansas that was resoldering ribs for a couple hundred dollars so I sent it out to him. That's all he was to do, just fix the ribs. When I got it back he had reconverted it to flint with out asking me if that was OK! :curse: I wasn't pleased with the uncorrect parts he used or the $1200.00 he charged me to do the job. :rolleyes: It will be converted to flint properly one day. And by the way, inside of a year the ribs came back off again...... One of my friends has some experience with ribs and fixed it for me, so it's good to go now.
Even tho this wasn't a planned conversion and the conversion parts are of the wrong style, it does work like a champ. It grinds up skeet all day and I've killed alot of pheasants with it. It has probably 99% ignition, and is super quick. If it hadn't worked as well as it does, I'd have probably converted it correctly by now, but..... it seems there's always something else to work on. :redface:

it does work like a champ. It grinds up skeet all day and I've killed alot of pheasants with it. It has probably 99% ignition, and is super quick.

I had a frizzen that stopped before it hit the spring, and just like yours it worked perfectly.

Right up until it broke :crackup:

Mike, very nice looking gun! Always a thank you to those who are able to share pictures.

Well I posted some time ago that I too am shooting an orginal SXS 20ga. that I reconverted back to flint.It was made between 1790 and 1820, I was told by those who have looked at it. It is a real shooter and does a good job on clay and doves with 7/8oz. of 7 1/2's and 2 1/4 dram. I am currently in the thick of a 16ga. SxS of new construction. I am using L&R's locks that TOW calls "Manton" with the gooseneck cock.

Mike - Thanks for sharing your photos and giving us an indication of your prices. Despite your nice work they are a little rich for my blood, made even worse by an unfavourable exchange rate (AUS$1.00 =~ US$0.76). In looking at the Bilby and your own work I am making Homer Simpson look like an amateur in the drooling department!

When I said originals were too rare and valuable to shoot, I didn't actually mean never, but this also depends a lot on their condition. I was thinking more of using them on a regular basis - something will eventually break, bend, get dented or scratched, perhaps even blow up. The occasional light load under ideal conditions should be OK, in fact I have been known to send a .730" PRB or two down-range in front of 75 gr FFG with FFFFG in the pan of a circa 1770-built trap or cemetery gun that I own!

Which reminds me - has anyone ever heard of a SEARLE lock? Can't find anything in books or on the internet. My trap gun has one, it being about the same size as a Brown Bess lock, or even a tad larger. In fact I fitted a spare Pedersoli Bess frizzen to it to save the original, and ignition is virtually instantaneous! Isn't it lovely when that happens?

Pete.

Hi Fellas
Does anyone have a ider on how much a double orginal flinter is worth. It's in very good condition. The maker isn't know yet we are still studing it. Does any one know when they started making double flint shot guns? It looks good and maybe even able to be used to shoot...I will get pics as they come avalible... best regards Loyalist dawg... "long live the king" :thumbsup:.

They were being made on a limited basis in the 1760's in england. Probably a little earlier than that in continental europe.

Value over the internet is a very tough call. It may be worth no more than what someone would give for a wall hanger to much more depending on condition and name recognition. Even when they were first made, there were cheaply made ones and also very ornate/expensive ones. Kind of like asking what is a used pump shotgun worth? Mossberg or Winchester Model 12 Pidgeon grade? Complete? Rusty? Cracked?

Back