• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock Elk slayer. They laughed!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr humble

32 Cal.
Reaction score
The boys in the ID camp when I showed up with a repro Baker British Military .61 cal rifle.
(The Frenchies laughed too but not for long)
When on day 2, my guide and I brought this bad boy back to camp it got real quiet. 18 pace shot in a jungle of willow, buckbush and pines. Double lunged him, he went 20 yards. The mold was designed by me and made by Lee. 1.4 ounces backed by 90 gr 2F did the job!
2009elk1.jpg

61bullet.jpg

DSCN1955.jpg

DSCN1956.jpg

DSCN1957.jpg

714_Full_Stock_Bay_Web_500.gif

Great all around! I love the sounds of silence after that kind of laughter. Kind of redefines "hunter," doesn't it?

I gotta ask. Since that bullet resembles the REAL, does it also have the slightly oversize top ring too? I've got them in 50, 54 and 58, and it seems as though the bigger they get, the better they shoot. At 61 caliber, my experience sezz you've got a real shooter on your hands.

A very nice animal and a good looking bullet. With those wide lube grooves it shouldn't lead too badly either.

Nice looking bull! Is that a "Royal"? I thought I could see seven points on each side!
nice looking rifle too.
Where did you acquire the rifle from?

Can't laugh at that kinda success.
Grats on a great hunt and a story you'll remember forever. :hatsoff:

:hmm: ya ought write up that whole story and put it in the "the hunting journal" forum here, complete with pics! be a great addition! :thumbsup:

BrownBear, what rifle are you shooting the .58 R.E.A.L. from? Just interested as I will be getting a .58 rifle soon and am considering using the R.E.A.L. for hunting, altho I don't think anything more than a PRB is really needed, as that is a pretty good chunk of lead!
Mr Humble, that is some good shooting and a great story. Emery

mazo kid said:
BrownBear, what rifle are you shooting the .58 R.E.A.L. from? Just interested as I will be getting a .58 rifle soon and am considering using the R.E.A.L. for hunting, altho I don't think anything more than a PRB is really needed, as that is a pretty good chunk of lead!

I'm shooting it from two right now- A TC Big Boar and a TC custom, both 1:48, and shooting with Goex 3f and no lubed wad over the powder. It's short enough that I'm going to try it in my GRRW 58, and my son-in-law's Big Boar. My hunting pard also has a Big Boar, and I just gave him a bunch to try. It's awesome accurate and fun to shoot, though like you I'm probably going to stick to RBs for hunting.

I can pass on a couple of things on accuracy. When casting, get your mold and the lead good and hot, then discard the first couple of dozen back into the pot to make sure the mold is really hot for good fills. Also make your pour a little off-center through the pour hole in the sprue plate so that you get a little "swirl" as the lead fills. The 58 cal mold is easier to throw good bullets with than either of the 54's or the 50, so maybe that's why accuracy is so much better.

Hello from Germany!

A big Waidmanns Heil to this nice elk buck! The Baker replica is a real good looking gun. Who is the manufacturer? I always thought these Bakers are smoothies.

Regards

Kirrmeister

Mr Humble

Im having a Baker repro built for me at present who would I contact at Lee to have a mould like yours built formyself

He's really a 6X6 with the classic broad spread that I was looking for.
The rifle came from the Rifle Shoppe in OK. They have a great website and their workmanship is excellent (and expensive).
As for leading there is none. Those grooves hold a lot of LPG and it's not going very fast. But as the guide said: "Holy S---, I saw the blood spray out the other side!"
Here's a better picture of the rack:
2009elk2.jpg

If you want to see Bakers in action against the French, join up with NETFLIX and get the BBC series Sharpe's Rifles. 16 parts I think starring Sean Bean as a Sgt elevated to an officer after saving Wellington's life. On my recent visit to Edinburgh castle I saw a real Baker up close. Mine is an exact copy. The riflemen back then were very good. To become a "chosen man" you had to be able to hit a 1/2 man target at 300 yards from an improvised rest (your pack). This with a patched round ball and open sights. The rifle has two leafs on the rear sight: 100 & 300. I have shot the 300 leaf at a VW bug sized rock at 300 and even with 67 year old eyes and glasses, you would not want to be sitting in that VW. I can't imagine being a mounted French officer with a bunch of these guys shooting at me.
These were hammered patched balls. Each trooper was issued a mallet to start the patched ball and it hung from his belt.When things got hot and close, they would just spit an unpatched ball down the bore and let fly. I have tried it for grins and at 25 yards or so, you would be dead.
There is a great scene in the BBC drama where Sharpe's right hand NCO does just that to a pair of French horsemen trying to ride him down.
You might want to watch this clip. Shows the Baker makes a rather good "butt stroker" as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOAWSU5_4t4

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back