• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock Gunsmithing

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheThunderGun

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello all I want to get into building my own guns, to recreate some older models because it's difficult to find Spanish Muskets now a days 🤕. ANYWAYS I was looking for some points and tools that I'll need to get started. I'm in alabama and have some basic tools already but there some things I don't believe I have and I want to hear from experienced builders on what they use and what I would likely need. So I can create a list. I'm not aiming to exactly forge every little piece but I'd like to carve my own stocks, etc. As well as put together and fit the parts how I want. Like I said not sure I'll be forging the tangs and barrels or anything but still. Anyways thanks all!

Hello all I want to get into building my own guns, to recreate some older models because it's difficult to find Spanish Muskets now a days 🤕. ANYWAYS I was looking for some points and tools that I'll need to get started. I'm in alabama and have some basic tools already but there some things I don't believe I have and I want to hear from experienced builders on what they use and what I would likely need. So I can create a list. I'm not aiming to exactly forge every little piece but I'd like to carve my own stocks, etc. As well as put together and fit the parts how I want. Like I said not sure I'll be forging the tangs and barrels or anything but still. Anyways thanks all!
I would suggest going on Rumble and looking up Bill Rabe he does like four hundred vids on custom builds

The Maryland rifle and 4 Bore Rifle #2 series go into the most detail. The 4 Bore #2 series is not all posted on Rumble yet but about all that is left on it is the engraving. The Schuetzen rifle series is just getting started. The Maryland rifle series is complete on Rumble now. There is no Escopeta in there but they are all built mostly the same way.

You don't need to get a lot of tools but get GOOD ones when you do. Stay away from cheap starter set chisels, get a few really good ones and a good set of stones to keep them sharp! I have about 3 straight chisels from 1/8" to 3/8" and a couple of round gouges that do 90% of my inletting. Check out the "Shinto" wood rasp, it is my go to tool for removing large amounts of wood. Assorted round/flat files and rasps. A good set of "Gunsmith" screwdrivers and your pretty well set.

Your videos are very helpful. A question about your 12" bench now that you have used it for a while. If you made another based on how this one works, what changes would you make to it? Higher, lower, more narrow or wider, thicker, type of wood, etc? Does the base cause tripping issues? I've gotten older and falling is a concern now.

Thank you for your past videos and you patient explanations in them. I have d/l many to a portable drive over the years.

Skinny work bench is definitely the way to go if you have enough space for it. I don't think I would make any changes. I really have not had any problems with it. I have never tripped over the base. But if that is an issue you could always not use a base and just bolt the table down to the floor instead.

Skinny work bench is definitely the way to go if you have enough space for it. I don't think I would make any changes. I really have not had any problems with it. I have never tripped over the base. But if that is an issue you could always not use a base and just bolt the table down to the floor instead.
Thank you. I was thinking of bolting to a floor joist and maybe a middle leg later for rigidity.

You will need a vise with the jaws lined with leather. I cut pieces of veg tanned leather and use carpet tape to stick them in the vise jaws. Get a light fixture that you can move around the gun. Good directional lighting is essential in gun building. Make yourself a stand to hold the gun up. I make mine out of old microphone stands.
1000006172.jpg

Books are important tools. A person can have tools and not know what they are trying to achieve, or the right steps in getting there. Videos and forums are helpful but a book can be opened to this page where you can say, ok, I’m at this step now.

This may sound like a silly question....but you do not mention if you are currently a traditional ML shooter? A buddy of mine makes guitars....and never learned how to play....so he has a difficult time knowing just how....it should play! Thus....not that by any means there is anything wrong (actually cool) to want to build them, but kinda the same thing....If you dont shoot....learn. It will help your mission.

Back