• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock Help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Teach said:
If you want drill your vent out to a larger size, have a look at this drill size chart, there are 5 sizes of # drills between 1/16" and 5/64" http://www.csgnetwork.com/drillsizeconvert.html[/quote]

Thanks

I am going up to the range this afternoon to test the flint and see what happens. If i get miss fires with the pan ignited and the hole picked, I will be doing a wee bit of hole drilling. Either go 1/16" or the next size up.

ROB

Last edited by a moderator:
If temperatures are below freezing, then it is impossible for it to be the humidity. You flinter should work in the summer in humid weather.
If the pan is flashing, it must be contamination of the main charge by the lube or cleaning solution. Run a dry patch or two down the barrel before you start shooting.

Well range went not too good so I drilled the hole to 1/16" and man every flash was followed by a bang. So the hole from the factory was too small. My pic fits in easy and I can feel the powder in there. Some guys at the range were shooting their pistols but said my gun makes lots of smoke and sounds loud. If it didn't it wouldn't be working. I was able to hit a six inch target at 50 yard with the five shots I took. next time I go I now can work on a grouping.

ROB

Tsegoweleh said:
English flints are the only way to go. :thumbsup:

I have 1 doz english and 1 doz Missouri white flints comming. Keep my English for hunting. I have some I made for now that work well at a range. I get 20 shots out of them the flint is from overseas dont remember from where. It was to make arrow and spear points and is very sparky.

If you are only getting 20 strikes per flint, your lock is grossly in need of tuning. :hmm: :shocked2: You should be expecting to get 80-120 strikes from any good English Flint, and not many fewer from any flint purchased elsewhere, save, perhaps the cut agate flints. Because they are not cut to take advantage of the natural fracture lines in the stone, these tend to dull very quickly, and are difficult to re-knapp. The only success I have heard is by using a diamond hone to put a new bevel on them.

My flint I self knap are not the english ones. I have some slabs from anouther country that are used to make flint arrow heads and Knives and such. I could prob re knap them but 20 shots was enough to say I could make my own flints. I will give them a true test and see how many shots I could get out of one.

ROB

Rob , Chris Buckley in PG here ,, I shoot a GPR and a tulle trade gun .. we got 6 die hard flinter shooters here an some who only shoot in summer, I put over 1000 shots a year thru my GPR ...first weekend rendezvous for me this year will be Merritt on Easter weekend . Me an a few guys shoot almost every weekend even in winter . Lookin forward to meeting sometime neighbour . :)

Were you getting a spark? If you are getting a spark is it hitting you pan? Folks are talking about touchholes, but I am not seeing you saying your getting a flash in the pan, but rather not a flash at all.

Personally I used mostly English Flints for the last 32 years or so in my flinters. But the quality has been slipping of late. I also have recently had good luck with Rich Pierces flints of late.

Missouri Long Trek Gunflints
[email protected]

When I could get Brandon Gunflints of GOOD black English flint they were unbeatable. The mixed bag grey and whites I have been getting of late have been rather soft and not as good a quality. Rich's Missouri Flints have been as good or better and cheaper. Get a batch of each and see what your firelock likes better.

Back