• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock ID

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can anyone ID this before I bid?
flint.jpg

Whether authentic or not , these African muskets were made in Belgium , and sold for the African trade. They were sold in the 1970's , in retail variety stores , in Pa..

Well I won the rusty ole gal. Now when it gets here we will decide what to do with it. Options are. 1: hang on wall. 2: slight clean keeping patina and shoot. Or 3: full refurbishment and shoot. My goal is competing in NMLRA matches so I need a smooth bore, already have a kibler rifle and pietta 1858.

Congrats. Great deal for 200 bucks. Basically Hawkeye is right. The particular one you now have, with the 50" or so barrel is what one of the USA distributors called the Long Tom. They were marketed by Century Arms (and probably others) back in the mid-late 1960's. Some were made with a two-piece lock. But you have one of the more desired ones with the one-piece lock. I believe it has a coil mainspring. My two-piece lock did. The frizzen will probably need hardened. But everything else should clean up good for shooting. Also, I believe you'll find it a two-piece stock joined at the rear barrel band. Post photos after you receive it when you can. Thanks.

Rick

Congrats. Great deal for 200 bucks. Basically Hawkeye is right. The particular one you now have, with the 50" or so barrel is what one of the USA distributors called the Long Tom. They were marketed by Century Arms (and probably others) back in the mid-late 1960's. Some were made with a two-piece lock. But you have one of the more desired ones with the one-piece lock. I believe it has a coil mainspring. My two-piece lock did. The frizzen will probably need hardened. But everything else should clean up good for shooting. Also, I believe you'll find it a two-piece stock joined at the rear barrel band. Post photos after you receive it when you can. Thanks.

Rick
Absolutely, I'm going to have some fun on the cheap!

Wasn't TC locks - they were modern coil spring cast junk, imho.
The guns complete had a GREAT warrantee, but then, they needed it.

Back