• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock only seasons

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am curious. Besides Pa, what other states have Flintlock only seasons? I am looking to hunt in some other states with a muzzleloader. I'd prefer to hunt someplace where everyone on the woods is using a flintlock. I know it's picky, but it's just the way I prefer hunting.

To the best of my knowledge, none. There was a suggestion to add a special flintlock only season for a week in the state of Maine along the coastal area. The state has what is called the expanded archery zone due to the high deer density in this particular locale. So some have suggested that a week of flintlock would be of great benefit.

Too bad it didn't go through.

utseabeescw said:
I am curious. Besides Pa, what other states have Flintlock only seasons? I am looking to hunt in some other states with a muzzleloader. I'd prefer to hunt someplace where everyone on the woods is using a flintlock. I know it's picky, but it's just the way I prefer hunting.
:rotf: maybe if you owned your own woods you could control it. :wink:

Wheeler Wildlife Management Area in N. Alabama I think still only allows flintlock or bow hunting only. I-65 South passes through the hunting area which is just out of Decatur Al.The Tennessee River passes along the southern border of the hunting area.Best access is by boat or bicycle,No Motorized Vehicles are allowed on trails.Check Alabama Game & Fish for details, It has been a few years since I have hunted this area so the rules may have changed . :thumbsup:

We have a week here and then there are WMA muzzleloader hunts as well.

Georgia does not have a Flintlock only season. We have a 1 week primitive weapons hunt (so-called), and several Primitive weapons hunts on WMA's through the year.
All of these are the kind of hunts where any gun that can have something stuffed down the muzzle goes. Including scopes, crossbows, compounds and recurves.

Sorry miss read LOL. Mind I never worry about what everyone else is hunting with...

Roy, Personally I think the Ga. ML season is a big ripoff. Ya gotta pay extra for getting skeeter bit and sweating profusely in the early season before the rut. Maybe you'll get one on acorns. I usually don't bother with it much.
My flintlock hunting is done during the rut when I actually expect a buck to come trotting by. And It doesn't cost any extra to carry a flinter in the regular season.
Maybe Sonny needed more money to buy land next to his family farm?

You might enjoy hunting at Bluegrass Army Depot in Kentucky.

If, you can meet all the restrictions and selection criteria.

You want have to listen to centerfire. :applause:

I pretty much agree LOL. I don't know what made me read Muzzleloading instead of Flintlock :youcrazy: :doh: :haha: but anyway if I deer hunt I either carry a bow or a flinter.

...New York has a ML season but no specific season for flinters like Pennsylvania... I love PA for fishing as well as hunting... lots of good hunting land and streams...
Bob

We still have our flintlock only season, but it has been watered some. Conicals, fiber-optic sights, and laminated stocks are now allowed.

It is still a great time of year to be in the PA woods! It is not the time of year to be looking for bucks, however.

If, like me, a prime, fat doe is a flintlock trophy, then consider our flintlock hunt. You'll have nearly three weeks after Christmas to persue our whitetails, and we have plenty of public hunting land, and you can dress the longhunter part. :thumbsup:

Hunt PA, we need your money! :surrender:

1776Patriot said:
We still have our flintlock only season, but it has been watered some. Conicals, fiber-optic sights, and laminated stocks are now allowed.

It is still a great time of year to be in the PA woods! It is not the time of year to be looking for bucks, however.

I agree, but you can still get lucky & run into a buck. Two years ago (December 30, 2006), I was hunting the late PA season expecting to harvest a doe for the freezer & had a nice 6 point buck give me the opportunity to take him.

PA has a great late flintlock hunt. I killed a huge doe there a few years ago at 80 yards. It was my first flintlock deer, and it was awesome.

I still try to get back up there for the late season in Pa. I've actually thrown the idea of not coming up there for the main rifle season and come up for the fall turkey season and then just come up for the flint season. The fall turkey season I could hunt with my flinter and the rifle season I wouldn't really have to worry about everyone else. Then get the late season with my flint. I've pretty much hung up my 30-06. That late season is a blast. Just really flippin cold! Now if only we would get a flintlock season in NC where we didn't need orange and could dress the part also.

WV started out its ML season years ago as a flint only for one day on state owned land. Didn't ML hunt then and didn't know anything about flint either.(I am a late flint bloomer) Now it is anything goes pretty much during the ML season. There is a couple of areas set aside for ML only during the buck season but it is not limited to flint only.

I have always had a secret desire to hunt that special season. It has always intrigued me for some reason. The first deer I shot was with a bow in Tioga County, in the town of Ulysses, Pennsylvania when Iwas seventeen years old. I was very proud and have a love of the Keystone State.At that time you could take only one deer in the state.

Here in WA, there's no flintlock season, but they do at least have some rules to keep out the most obnoxious of the inlines. No optics, no shotgun primers and the cap has to be exposed to the elements.

Back