• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock or percussion for a first purchase?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nabonidus62

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm finally getting round to buying my first muzzle loader after toying with the idea for a couple of years. (Going with a reproduction from Pedersoli).

I've decided on a smoothbore for the versatility but not sure if I want to go flint or percussion.

What are the pros and cons of each and is one more beginner friendly than the other?

I'll be taking the gun hunting for birds and deer and will also be using it for target shooting if you'd like to know.

From Pedersoli's catalogue I'll likely decide on one of these (Still open to suggestions though):

- Indian Trade Gun

- Brown Bess

- Carabinieri 1814

-1816 Harpers Ferry (Colt Conversion)

If anyone has some advice that might help my decision that would be great.

Cheers.

I started with percussion and still shoot them, but flint is my favorite. As mentioned previously, no need to worry about caps if you run low. I read somewhere that the flintlock was preferred out west because of how hard it was to get caps.

John Daly Meme (2).png

Flintlock is the only path to enlightenment, my son

Last edited:
Normally i would say flintlock first as that is what i did. There is a big learning curve coming from cartridge guns so the cap gun should be easier to learn muzzle loading skills.
I would only suggest a cap gun if you can readily get caps in your area. Flints ship without hazmat fees.

Guess i didn’t give a good answer.

I started hunting with inlines then got a flintlock for target shooting. I would have to say that it was a steep learning curve for me with my flintlock but it is also an older jukar rifle so it has a cheap lock. I will say though, it was very satisfying when I finally figured it out the rifle after doing some clockwork to it myself. I would also say that either way you go, YouTube and this forum will be your best friend. I have e learned a ton from both and both have save me a lot of headaches.

I went directly from BB guns to black powder with a two decade hiatus in between. First rifle I had was a flintlock Dixie Gun Works Tennessee mountain rifle. Nobody told me I couldn't do that. Get the flintlock. It's about the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

I started with percussion and later flintlock in the days before internet and learned by reading everything I could find on the subject. Along the way, I found some folks to help me a little more.

Just my .02 cents worth, but if you can load and operate a modern bolt action rifle, you can learn to shoot a flintlock. Go with flintlock and don’t look back.

Good thing about the Pedersoli I can be easily swapped back and forth from percussion to flint and back again. The parts are currently available to do it. Like many others I started with percussion, however I too went to mostly flintlocks. A smoothbore just scre3ams flintlock they go together like peperoni and pizza, pancakes and syrup, jake and jill, potatoes and onions and butter.

I started with an inline and then switched to cap locks. I then tried flintlocks and that is all I shoot now. Just make sure you have a reliable lock which is not always the case with Pedersoli. I have had two and both locks had to be sent to Brad Emig for a tune up. A smooth bore in flint would be my choice.

Back