• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock pistol accoutrements

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For rifles and fowlers, the custom was to carry on a shoulder strap (or two separate straps) a horn of powder and a bag with the needed balls, patching etc. I read accounts where a brace of pistols were sometimes carried by riders in saddle holsters or where a brace or single pistol was carried stuck into a belt or sash. If you were just carrying the pistol/s & no long gun, where/how were the supplies to reload carried? Would a small pocket horn have been used? Perhaps a little bag with a few balls, patches & some tow in a pocket or stuck in your baggage?

I would assume that a pistol shooter would need the same items as a long gun shooter. The only difference would be, he would use less powder per shot. I would still carry a shooting bag.

Coot,
I don't know when or where I saw it,or in what publication but definately remember seeing
a sketch of a man on a horse showing two pistols
one on each side of the saddle horn. But also
had in his arms a rifle that appeared to be F/L.
I did not see a bag in the sketch, but he had to have something,and I don't think it would have
been in the saddle bags.IMO
snake-eyes:hmm:

Pistols were a back-up weapon for military officers and some frontiersmen. Wealthy travelers carried them for self defense and some merchants may have had one for shop protection. With the exception of the frontiersman, I do not see the others carrying a rifleman type pouch. (I bought a .50 Chambers pistol kit to go with my .50 rifles & carry a horn & pouch with two measures, one for the rifle & a second for the pistol. It makes a practical rig). For the other pistol applications, I think that a small bag in a coat pocket or saddlebag would be more likely. I know that some high end guns came in cased sets with the accessories but I am doubtful that that was typical of more utilitarian guns & the case would most likely stay at home rather than get hauled around. So far, I have not found any period references other than to the pistols themselves. "Send me my horsepistols" "...carrying a pistol in his sash..." "took a pistol off their officer" etc, etc. 'Inquiring minds' :grin: want to know.....
Thanks for any help.

i have two 50 cal f.l. pistols. that i carry with my rifle. there in the same cal. that my rifle is. i have two measures on my horn 1 for the pistol, 1 for the rifle, same ball and patches. seem to be the easiest way to do it and still keep extra gear to min. kurty250

Friend of mine who portrays a Highland Officer use a brass box in his jacket pocket....big enough for 6 cartridges...small horn carried over shoulder for priming.
Steve

Most of the folks we study/reinact are frontiersmen of one sort or another. They carried rifles with perhaps a pistol as a backup along with their knife and belt axe.

But someone carrying only a pistol, or two, wasn't a frontiersman in the way we typically think of. A pistol is typically not used to make meat, but for self defense at close range. The folks that would have only carried a pistol most likely were well to do: doctors, lawyers, merhcants, etc. - not the type to carry a large number of rounds and accoutrements.

These folks wouldn't want to "advertise" the fact that they were carrying a pistol by having a shooting bag hanging over their shoulder or beneath their coat.

They would have carried a small flask (horn or metal) and the bear minimum to reload and fire their pistol.

The exception would be military personal.

A man having pistols on his person in the 18th century was either a civilian gentleman of means, a military officer or a thief.
After the 1760's, English gunmakers began to produce cased fowling guns and accoutrements to go along with the gun. When dueling pistols came on the scene, they were produced cased and had all the loading accoutrements with them.
In the case of holster pistols, the saddlebags would have held re-loading equipment for the civilian.
For pocket pistols, a gentleman would have used his coat or weskit pockets. Pockets are an overlooked thing as we re-create today because we try to use all the trappings we can slings over our shoulders just to have added pieces of history on our person.
Dueling pistols were usually kept in the home for their intended purpose only.

steve stanley said:
Friend of mine who portrays a Highland Officer use a brass box in his jacket pocket....big enough for 6 cartridges...small horn carried over shoulder for priming.
Steve

Steve - The brass box with a few cartridges makes perfect sense. But if he is using cartridges, why carry a priming horn?

A)..Because he's got a really nice flat Highland horn!
B)..Because it's easier to re-prime if neccessary..no need to waste a cartridge(maybe I should have said horn for RE-priming...)
Steve

Back