• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock pistol holster

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's just the form it naturally took.
In my research I did find a couple original examples of flintlock holsters but they were actually referred to as pistol buckets. Sort of a cup shaped out of leather and lined with something soft. These are what I found on line.
One of the guys at work made a pair of pistol buckets for the Governor’s house at Jamestown a couple of years back. We made the last for them out of a broken yoke for carrying water buckets. The flaps are functional and work fine for keeping water out.
Jay

Attachments

• IMG_8304.jpeg
    IMG_8304.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
One of the guys at work made a pair of pistol buckets for the Governor’s house at Jamestown a couple of years back. We made the last for them out of a broken yoke for carrying water buckets. The flaps are functional and work fine for keeping water out.
Jay
I haven't been to Jamestown yet, it's on my bucket list. The pistol buckets look great. I'm sure the average guy would have made them.out of whatever he could recycle so I'd say that's about as period correct as it gets.

I haven't been to Jamestown yet, it's on my bucket list. The pistol buckets look great. I'm sure the average guy would have made them.out of whatever he could recycle so I'd say that's about as period correct as it gets.
You are a super fine artisan, highly talented leather craftsman, but that just wasn't done. Saddle bucket holsters, yes. Belt holsters no, they are not to be found. At least not in anything we could call a pistol holster. Great piece but not HC/PC in your wildest dreams

You are a super fine artisan, highly talented leather craftsman, but that just wasn't done. Saddle bucket holsters, yes. Belt holsters no, they are not to be found. At least not in anything we could call a pistol holster. Great piece but not HC/PC in your wildest dreams
I have this picture in my head of a reenactor with the best gear all "based" on some things that could have been made with the technology available. I went to an 18th century arms and accoutrements exhibit on display at Rock Forge. I took a pile of photos of genuine gear from the 1700s all made around here. I didn't want to copy anybody's gear exactly. I could do that easy! Even age the equipment but that's not who I am.
This is the possible bag and horn I put together. (My Mrs bought me the bag, I just made the leather attachments for the horn) The horn was my first attempt at a horn. It looks authentic while still having some tech advances.
KIMG2242.JPG

This is the flint wallet/tool kit I made for the guns I shoot. The design on the top of the wallet is Algonquin from the 17th century. I went to a craft fair and there was a lady selling both flint wallets and small sewing kit wallets. That's sort of where I got the idea to make a hybrid wallet.
KIMG0687.JPG

KIMG0689.JPG

KIMG0688.JPG

KIMG0690.JPG

The ball flask was made by all traditional methods. I made the front
and back and a gusset, glued and stitched it by hand. Then I wet the leather and stuffed the flask with a cotton rope till I got a shape that would accommodate 20 or so lead balls. After it dried, I removed the rope and used beeswax to treat the inside. I'm not trying to rewrite history, just having a little fun with it.
Thanks for looking at it. BTW, I used to make and modify a lot of my gear when I was in the service to. Drove my CO crazy but the guy had me make him a better holster for his .45 out of OD canvas. That was in 1976

Back