• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock Squirrel Rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Ohiochuck for asking this...with the majority of the hunting seasons over for the year, I am starting my next rifle build project... yup a squirrel rifle.
I started on the stock back in the spring, got it about 75% blanked out and dropped the project to start hunting. Roughed out a lot of the trimmings in iron that still need a lot of file and polish.....but have not decided on a caliber????
So the current tally on this post so far is;

30 caliber ”“ 1 vote
32 caliber ”“ 15 votes
36 caliber ”“ 6 votes
40 caliber ”“ 1 vote
45 caliber ”“ 2 votes

I was leaning towards the .32 in the beginning and based on feedback, that’s the barrel I am going to order”¦will let you know after September 1st when our squirrel season starts how she works!

I will give the 40 grain and under a workout then and see if I can find an accurate load to squirrel hunt with then! Thanks Crewdawg! Greg. :)

I'm on my way to making them all....my wife says I have a problem, I keep telling her that once you kill something with one it's all used up and I got to get another :grin:

VTdeerhunter said:
Thanks Ohiochuck for asking this...with the majority of the hunting seasons over for the year, I am starting my next rifle build project... yup a squirrel rifle.
I started on the stock back in the spring, got it about 75% blanked out and dropped the project to start hunting. Roughed out a lot of the trimmings in iron that still need a lot of file and polish.....but have not decided on a caliber????
So the current tally on this post so far is;

30 caliber ”“ 1 vote
32 caliber ”“ 15 votes
36 caliber ”“ 6 votes
40 caliber ”“ 1 vote
45 caliber ”“ 2 votes

I was leaning towards the .32 in the beginning and based on feedback, that’s the barrel I am going to order”¦will let you know after September 1st when our squirrel season starts how she works!

While I'm going to be different just because I like to "hang with the cool kids".

I say get a 38 cal - it's not very common so odds are "nobody else" will have one.

And since you can shoot roundballs for the 36 cap/ball revolver (.375's) you can pick them up from Hornady "right off the shelf" and as an added bonus a 3/8" ramrod will "just" fit.

The ball comes in @ 79 grains, so (almost) double a 45 grain/32 cal and a little over 20% more than a 65 grain/36 cal.

And then you "still have room" to add the 32, 36 and 40 to your smaller bore collection - because you can never stop at one rifle :)

IMO, a light-loaded .45 or .40 or anything smaller will fit the bill.

With 35 grains of powder or so, I wouldn't hesitate to take my .45 into the squirrel woods.

IMO, .38 caliber should go on the bottom of the list or just save the ink and leave it off.

Although it sounds like a good idea, .38 caliber is not one of the common bores.

Unless you can find a custom barrel maker that has the tooling to make one, it's unlikely you will ever find one.

You simply can't beat a .32 for a squirrel rifle. I have both the .36 and .32 and almost all my squirrels were taken with a .32. My load was a .311" ball, .024" patch over 30 grains of 3F. With body shots it did no more damage than a .22LR Hollow point. Never was fouling an issue even after several dozen rounds. 20 to 30 grains of 3F worked like a charm in my .36. I sold my former .32 after 12 years of use and bought a .32 Tn rifle. I've yet to settle on that one load for the new flinter but should get that done by this spring. The wooden ramrods have served well and the one I sold still had the original wood rod.

Add another vote for the .32 for me, or maybe two votes since I have two of them?

As to the .38, it is a good caliber, but like has been said, somewhat uncommon. I kinda hate to say it, but I recently sold a .38. It shot well, and was good on rabbit and squirrel, but I just never used it because it used about twice the lead and a bit more powder that my .32s do, and didn't kill them any deader.

Beautiful gun Hanshi, thanks for sharing.
So I decided to let the gun gods decide, I ordered both .32 & .36 caliber barrels. The .36 arrived yesterday so that's what will go on this build.

Of course once the .32 shows up....whatever will I do with it :doh:

Starting on the barrel lugs....

Back