• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock squirrels

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very Nice! Great shooting! :bow:
Those fox squirrels can take a pounding...
Enjoy the feast!....

I WISH that we had big fox squirrels where I hunt. Mostly we have scrawny grays. :(

Went bow hunting last Thursday and watched 8 different squirrels frolic around. Guess I am going to have to borrow my .40 flint Tennessee Poor Boy back from my bro-in-laws fireplace and go chase a squirrel or two. Your gun reminds me of mine and I need to get it and start shooting it again. 40 grains of FFF and a spit patched rb and it is a tack driver @ 25 yards. How do I get pictures small enough to upload to this sight? Would like to post a couple.
Thanks,
Powderhorn09

We had silver greys where I used to live, on the wet side of the Cascade Mountains. Here on the dry side, it is mostly ground squirrels. Very few eat them -- just as very few eat jack rabbit, but I have heard from those who do that they are actually pretty good.
I have been reading about you lucky guys in the Midwest and East and your big fox squirrels all of my life, and envying you.
Curious. Does anyone ever bother to tan those lovely little hides?

excess650 said:
I WISH that we had big fox squirrels where I hunt. Mostly we have scrawny grays. :(

This is the kind of fox squirrels we have around. Frankly, I prefer grays. I literally had to skin this guy out using the knife the whole time, his hide was on so tough. No making a cut on the back and just pulling it off both ends! Lottsa meat, but I find that to be much tougher too. Gray's make the best eating, IMO.

022413Squirrel1_zpsa01329fe.jpg
[/URL]

Man that's my favorite small game right there! I take my Smoothbore Flintlock out.I've yet to get a nice squirrel rifle... but that's next on the list.
Nice looking rifle and some good eats for sure!!
BTW, my wife makes some really good Squirrel..Pot Pie, Hot Poppers, Noodles and Barbeque as well. It's hard to pick which is my favorite...

Powderhorn09 said:
Went bow hunting last Thursday and watched 8 different squirrels frolic around.
That's pretty much been my experience this year. One crazy owl-hoot noticed me doing my "up the tree guy" impression and spent an hour jumping from limb to limb and chattering his silly head off. After that, he seemed to wait for me to show up to do his Paul Revere impression! "The idiot's back...the idiot's back!" :doh:

Prefer a rifle for fear of them crawling back to the hidey holes after being it with shot.
Found that by skinning shortly after hitting the ground it makes for light work.... carry traditional gallon zip lock bags set them in the snow after cleaning.

3 lbs.
001.jpg

#2 that day

008.jpg

luckily no trouble while treed,LOL.
they are pretty critters, if you have interest look on FWC's web site and do a search for fox squirrels. they are protected now but my brother used to hunt them for the hides when we were kids. i have actually seen one years ago that probably would have went 5 lbs, i know how that sounds but i am serious as a heart attack. they probably average 1 to 2 pounds in good habitat.

creek

Last edited by a moderator:
our fox squirrel dont gey much press either and i doubt if many city dwellers here have seen one. as with the black bear in my neck of the woods i really dont understand them being protected, i see both regularly and the black bears are so numerous they are moving into towns, i think it is more a case of making life easier on the commision and their officers than protecting critters where they need to be protected so instead of being protected in zone a or b they just shut down the whole state. can you imagine doing that in big western states?? makes no sense to me but then again not much does these days.

creek

Latest posts

Back