• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

WANTED Flintlock tools

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Touchhole pick is some piano wire of the correct thickness. Cut a 4" piece and epoxy into a handle.

The correct flat driver is kind of another matter. People get serious about what screwdrivers they use on the flats of their guns. I'd throw a caliper on it to get the exact dimensions and the easy button is a Grace driver from Brownells. Truth be told if you buy one of their Magnatip sets, or even one of the Wheeler sets there is probably one in there that's exact. The Wheeler set I have is kinda cheap, but there's probably thirty flat head drivers and I can usually find one that fits tight. If I can't I'll buy the correct Grace Driver. The maxim is that good enough is a fail. You want the tip touching the base, and the sides tight or get one that fits. Nothing worse than buggered up flat screws on a gun. The worst.

Last edited:
I need a touch-hole pick and at least a screwdriver made for the jaw screw. Any ideas about where to buy or DIY from around the home shop?
Grind or file an existing screwdriver to the specs you want. (Old-timey handle, of course!) A pick is nothing but a thin wire or rod you can bend into what ever shape you want; loop for a lanyard, or whatever. No need to buy either of these needed items!

Grind or file an existing screwdriver to the specs you want. (Old-timey handle, of course!) A pick is nothing but a thin wire or rod you can bend into what ever shape you want; loop for a lanyard, or whatever. No need to buy either of these needed items!
I second this! The best kind of tools are the ones you make for yourself

BTW, the magazine Muzzleloader has a regular columnist feature, I believe it's T.C. Albert, who does a ML related craft project every issue. It's fun to see how he does things, and makes it seem so easy & encouraging to the readers.

Track of the Wolf had a Timothy Pickering tool in three different sizes. Nice addition to the bag or patch box.
Walkaheap

I have used a larger/heavier paper clip for decades. It is wrapped around my pan charger lanyard. Works great. For the jaw screw, a small hex shaped 'screw driver' that my grandfather gave me in the early 90s. Much easier than a flat head because my top screw has a hole in it. That little hex shaft fits right through there and is much easier to manipulate and no skipping off and scratching metal or wood.

I need a touch-hole pick and at least a screwdriver made for the jaw screw. Any ideas about where to buy or DIY from around the home shop?
Much depends on whether or not you want something that looks of the period, or is purely functional. For purely functional purposes, take a paperclip and straighten it out a bit. That works magnificently as a vent pick.
A screwdriver can be ground or filed down to fit the cock jaw screw and side plate screws. You'll probably need one for each. I do. For serious work get a gunsmith screwdriver set from Brownell's or Amazon like the Chapman set.

I hand forged them. PM me if you're still looking.

Attachments

• 20220211_190515.jpg
    20220211_190515.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Here’s some homemade accoutrements.

On the left is a vent pick made from a piece of paper clip glued into a wooden dowel which was turned using a cordless drill, a file and some sand paper.

In the middle is a turn screw forged from a piece of scrap steel rod. Filed the blade to match cock screw of a Fusil de Chasse. It’s rough but works just fine.

On the right is a powder/shot measure of ~65 grains made from a piece of bamboo from a scarecrow Halloween decoration.

And yes, I use all of these.

46AA8EA9-DD86-448F-BA76-D9A3FCA6D3DE.jpeg

Back