• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlocks and bad weather

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewtoFlinters

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I plan to hunt extensivly with a flintlock rifle this year for deer. In the past I used a caplock on wet days and the flinter only good days. When I was caught in the rain once with the flinter I used a gallon plastic bag to cover the action. While this worked, it was certianly not ideal. What method do you folks use?

You can buy or make whats called a "Cows Knee" thats an oiled leather that covers the lock area. I keep threatening to make one but so far keeping the lock under my hunting jacket has worked for me.

Out here in the wild and wooly pacific northwoods, they say we have two seasons

The rainy season and 4th of July.

Ive been shootin a flinter for many years, and have never had a non-fire.

My pan and frizzen have been milled to match. Its not even what they call a waterproof pan.

I use a crayon, and heat the end up, and color the outer edge or the pan. A dark color helps get good coverage. They I load the pan and snap it shut. It will last all day.

During rondies, I use my tricorn backwards to load the pan, and have never had it not fire, in the howling/blowing wind and rain.

In a good rain, I don't think any pan is waterproof. The fit between the pan and frizzen can be perfect but the water will run down the flats of the bbl and wet the prime. Have mainly hunted squirrels w/ a flintlock for some 40 plus years and have encountered all sorts of weather and to ensure ignition even in a downpour, I've only done 2 things. When raining, the lock is covered w/ a generous piece of supple, waterproof leather tied down w/ bows on both ends. Just as important, after firing, the pan and surrounding area is thoroughly cleaned and dried. BP residue is hygroscopic and absorbs moisture from the humid air. Sometimes, if the rain is very prolonged, the prime is dumped and new, dry prime is used. If the flint was sharp, never had an ignition failure....Fred

NEWtoFlinters said:
"...In the past I used a caplock on wet days and the flinter only good days..."
"...What method do you folks use?..."
I did that same thing during the first year I switched to Flintlocks...then the following yewar I made up my mind I was going to exclusively hunt with Flintlocks no matter the weather just like the settlers had to do. That was 2001 and I've only used Flintlocks since...year round, all weather conditions including one time actually leaving the house and it was raining...a variety of game, never had a misfire yet...very rewarding experience.

I keep the lock up under my coat, refreshing the prime often, even every 20-30 minutes if needed.

Not as big a problem as some think...I started in the 70s and have never owned a percussion gun...I went through the process of trying to waterproof the pan with grease or wax and also the cow's knee...

As Roundball said, I just leave the front of the coat opened and stash the rifle butt and lock up under my arm pit and keep the barrel pointed down...After the rain eases, reprime...I do use FFF in both the barrel and pan as I feel that this absorbs moisture slower...

nchawkeye said:
"...Not as big a problem as some (might) think..."

Agree...I think its just a confidence thing and not being sure on how to go about it...once you've done it you realize its pretty straight forward.

The thing that always helped me through Flintlock milestones was remembering that the Flintlock was 'THE' technology for a couple hundred years...its how people fed and defended themselves year round, all weather...thought if they could (had to!) do it, I could do it.

Speaking only for myself, I didn't find a cows knee practical at all for hunting. I can't imagine having to fiddle around with and untie a cows knee, making all that movement, trying to get the ML ready as a buck is approaching 25 yards away through the trees.

And I'm not personally convinced a typical cows knee could seal a lock from all the damp humid air on wet days. By contrast the lock up under a coat flap next to your warm dry body is simple, practical, and quick to bring up for a shot, IMO.

Now, interestingly, I did find what I think is a great use for the Leatherman cow's knee I bought and I use it every time I go hunting...as a protective cover while walking in to a deer stand in the dark. It completely protects the frizzen/hammer/flint from getting snagged by a bush...when I get on stand I remove & stow it, then prime the lock.

if im sitting i keep the pan under my chest and kinda bend over the pan and ill use a waxed piece of leather too make the pan cover bigger than the area itself more surface area

Thanks all for the replies. I will do some testing prior to deer season. I will be the nut on the range during the next rainstorm. :grin:

In addition to all the suggestions. i also put little pieces of bees wax on the right side of my barrel where it meets the wood. this makes little "dams" to divert the water before it gets to the lock. soften some bees wax till it gets sticky, and just push it in that crack where barrel meets wood. One just on front of the lock,and one perhaps a foot forward should do the trick. that darn long barrel is just asking to run water into the pan. I also use a "cows knee", my coat, watch my hat brim, and anything else I can think of. The only time I have had trouble is when I checked my pan, and a tree unloaded about a pound of snow into my open pan. I think the good Lord enjoys a good joke now and again. I think your best prevention is between your ears. Good Luck.

I keep the gun pointed down a bit and under my sleeve/cape/armpit prime with 3f and have never tried to seal off the pan or barrel at the lock panel and have had no problems, if it really gets nasty like in Nov. in the Oregon coastal Mts. I use a lock cover like this. I have had days that a reload would be nearly impossible without searching for a large Cedar or other cover.
lockcover.jpg

After 3 days of hard hunting, I wouldn't put anything under my armpit. :grin: ...Fred

I've actually gone target shooting in the rain, just to look for possible problems. I've had suprisingly few missfires due to rain. And Back in '89, the first year I hunted with flintlock, I spent all day in the pouring rain with my gun under my armpit, inside my coat - next moring, bright & sunny, some fresh prime, & BANG! A Six-point buck!

lots of practice , go and shoot in the rain first . like the others said, armpit , hat brim ,under your shirt , any way you can to cover the pan . wipe dry and reprime the pan often . i have very good luck with these tricks and never used a knee .

there is always a time when you are trying to prime and a huge drop of water splashes rite in there , time to start again .

just part of the fun

NEWtoFlinters said:
I plan to hunt extensivly with a flintlock rifle this year for deer. In the past I used a caplock on wet days and the flinter only good days. When I was caught in the rain once with the flinter I used a gallon plastic bag to cover the action. While this worked, it was certianly not ideal. What method do you folks use?

I use a full length cover of top grain cowhide split dosed with snow seal.
This works.
A tight weave wool cover is pretty good for cold weather.
Either will slide off pretty fast when needed.
Dan

Latest posts

Back