• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flushing the barrel on a percussion rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have used flush kits on percussion barrels and find that our modern mindset tends to complicate simple matters. My preference these days is to just plug the nipple with a tooth pick and fill the barrel with soapy water. I swab the breech with a brass breech brush followed by a few strokes with a nylon bore brush, keeping an old towel around the barrels muzzle (around cleaning rod) to catch any water that comes that way from the suction. I then drain and swab bore with dry patches until clean and dry. Then I remove the nipple and clean in a pan of water. Also clean the drum and nipple channel with an oil patch over a small brass brush. Lastly, grease bore with RIG and done.

I have one and it works quite well. Be sure that when you order one, it has the proper size threads to fit your rifle. One caveat, be sure to secure the end that goes into the cleaning solution container because when you push your cleaning rod down the bore, the pressure will cause the unsecured end of the tubing to fly around spraying dirty flush solution all over wherever you are cleaning your gun. Yeah, I'll have to fess up, it did happen to me. :doh: That's how I found out the hard way that you need to secure the end of the tubing. Hopefully, if it happens to you, you are not cleaning in the house. A thing like that could make Momma mad. :cursing:

Billnpatti said:
I have one and it works quite well. Be sure that when you order one, it has the proper size threads to fit your rifle. One caveat, be sure to secure the end that goes into the cleaning solution container because when you push your cleaning rod down the bore, the pressure will cause the unsecured end of the tubing to fly around spraying dirty flush solution all over wherever you are cleaning your gun. Yeah, I'll have to fess up, it did happen to me. :doh: That's how I found out the hard way that you need to secure the end of the tubing. Hopefully, if it happens to you, you are not cleaning in the house. A thing like that could make Momma mad. :cursing:

YA! :redface:

Back