• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Focus

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nick_1

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Focus, relax follow through... Just shot my 9 target woods walk in a light rain and only got a 5... Light rain and a fresh hatch of mosquitos.. my electronic ear muffs did not help. The amplified sound of mosquitos honing in on YOU for the kill is rather unnerving. I suspect that at leas 3 of my 4 misses were the direct result of getting un nerved by mosquitos biting me... Station 3 is in the deep dark woods and it was simply brutal....

Last edited:
....The amplified sound of mosquitos honing in on YOU for the kill is rather unnerving. ....
Hah!! You need to use some foam ear plugs instead of those electronic muffs. They just amplify the ambient sound until a gunshot and then cut out, leaving the muffs to reduce the gunshot sound, which they actually don't do as effectively as plain foam ear plugs.

My muffs absolutly work better for ear protection than foam plugs. In noisy venues, under a tin roof with other shooters I doubble up and wear foam plugs and the muffs. I could just turn the sound off on my woods walk but I like to hear the steel ring. the point of the thread is not so much this one incident but Focus in general. how do you be that silver medalist from Turkey.. Stone cold...

Shades of Fate is the Hunter (book). The training captain lighting matches under the new co pilot nose/face in a stormy landing telling him, real world you will someday have to overcome bad things like this.

I use both muffs and plugs. Still got hearing loss from engines. I know what they say but as one of my co workers pointed out, in this area it penetrates and he was right. No idea how that works.

What I have found is when its life and death as its been maybe 6 times in my life, focus was there. Pretty odd how that works.

You read about how guys in the musket era would calmly load and shoot for the entire round of fighting, something about 10 or 20% of the shooters and they did the majority of the damage. No one would pick them as anything special but in a battle, they just became cold sober effective shooters. I knew two guys who were in WWII paratroopers. Neither one seemed special but they both served from Normandy on to the end. No offense to those who served but they were always called on first as they were the most effective troops.

I wrestled in high school, my one teammate was better at practice than I was. Beat me all the time.

Put us in a real match? He never lived up to his practice ability and I went above it in the real deal. I had one match that for some reason the crowd was on my side, lot of cheering going on. After I was asked about it, nope, I did not hear anything but the calls from the referee. Coach is shaking his head, I guess they were really into it.

But my teammate, well he got a bruised collar bone that his opponent bumped (not on purpose). Boy did he get mad and tore the other guy apart. Yea Butch. Only once though, he could not call on it.

I had another teammate that was a quasi friend. He was not very good but he was dedicated to filling his weight class slot (heavy weight) so we did not have a no show (better to loose a match than no one in that slot as you lost more points wise for the team). I admired his dedication and knowing he would get beat. He never complained. Just went out and did his best.

So, I hurt my back in practice and then in a match and I messed it up again. I had to pull out, we got a no compete score against us, I was in tears of frustration. The other team was laughing about it.

Bill was up two weight classes latter, up against the best heavy weight in the district if not the state. Bill went out and destroyed him. That guy who took state the year before and that year as well. I asked Bill, what the heck happened man? He said, no on laughs at my teammates or my friend. I got very choked up.

I know a thing or two about staying chill when actual life and death is involved.
IMG_4232.jpg

P3081684.jpg

old stuff0025.jpg

I cant seem to get the same level of focus from a pistol match.... punching paper is boring and shooting steel which I really like still seems removed from immediate repercussions of the death variety...

Yea, kind of my reaction. It takes that real life situation to get the focus.

I tended to ace tests when the previous work while decent was not up to that the test is real standard.

When I was learning to fly my instructor got concerned and had the head flight guy do a cross check. I aced it and my instructor thought I had sand bagged him.

I had to explain how that worked for me, I got better at the practice part so that helped.

Put me on those kind of heights and my reactions would be bad, for sure not an area I work at all well in.

I suspect your airplane is slightly higher off the deck than most of the cliffs I climb...

I admire you both. I’ve climbed and camped in snowy mountains but I couldn’t do that technical stuff. And flying a small plane? Heck no!!!

😳

Back