• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Follow through

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm new to competing with a flintlock in NMLRA. Of course I'm having new shooter problems with follow through. Flinch,moving the muzzle before the ball leaved the barrel. So my question is what exactly
Is "follow through " and how to train for it? 99% of NMLRA is offhand so this is what I need to focus on.
Thanks in advance.

Follow through is the conscience effort to prevent your firearm from moving after the trigger is pulled.

When I'm target shooting, there is at least two full seconds of, conscience, follow through.

When I'm hunting, more than two seconds.

There's an old adage: If you look over your scope right after you pulled the trigger, you missed the deer. Because your hurried, anxious, mind was on killing the deer instead of following through with your shot. If you did your job correctly that dead deer will be on the ground 3, 5, 8 seconds after you pull the trigger.

Follow through is the conscience effort to prevent your firearm from moving after the trigger is pulled.

When I'm target shooting, there is at least two full seconds of, conscience, follow through.

When I'm hunting, more than two seconds.

There's an old adage: If you look over your scope right after you pulled the trigger, you missed the deer. Because your hurried, anxious, mind was on killing the deer instead of following through with your shot. If you did your job that dead deer will be on the ground 3, 5, 8 seconds after you pull the trigger.
Ok so tell me how you hold the gun steady on target during recoil or "follow through "The gun is laying on palm or fingers not gripped. Is the right hand pulling the gun into shoulder? This is way different than shooting an AR.

Ok so tell me how you hold the gun steady on target during recoil or "follow through "The gun is laying on palm or fingers not gripped. Is the right hand pulling the gun into shoulder? This is way different than shooting an AR.
You don't hold the gun steady on recoil as that would be an impossible task.

Follow through starts when your gun goes back into battery. With your sights back on the target.

And the act of following through is the same whether the firearm is a .22 Cricket, AR-15, .30-30 or Muzzleloader.

Your goal is to reduce the movement of the firearm and to bring the sights back to where they were prior to the trigger being pulled.

I'm new to competing with a flintlock in NMLRA. Of course I'm having new shooter problems with follow through. Flinch,moving the muzzle before the ball leaved the barrel. So my question is what exactly
Is "follow through " and how to train for it? 99% of NMLRA is offhand so this is what I need to focus on.
Thanks in advance.
You are asking about follow through and have already received some good answers. Flinching is, Not Following through! Why are you flinching? Usually what I have seen is this: The shooter is conscious of the flash coming out the TH and is intimidated by that flash. Another reason could be that the flintock is not going off consistently, and that does cause flinching. Now,
take your "UNLOADED" rifle and prime the pan and do dry fire. Place a target and shoot like you are going for a dead center bulls eye, with follow through. Do that several times and when the lock ignites the prime think the following when the flash occurs : Is this all I am fliching about?
Most anyone who has never shot flint will flinch because of the flash out the TH.
One of my email addresses starts with flinchlock. Ha, flinch is history for this old man. Unfortunately, it is now wobble. Good luck!
Larry

Dry fire, a LOT, like Mike said, put a piece of wood in the cock and shoot the light switches in your house, then the screws that hold the switch plates on, shoot everything in your house, get a HARD front sight focus and dry fire. If you take that same thing you do in the house to the range you will shoot vastly better.

For flinching, I've typed out some fairly long posts, search on target panic and check them out.

Get a cheap BB or pellet gun with a miserable trigger, and practice with it until you can put the shots where you want them. Helps on follow through and trigger control, your biggest elements of shooting.
Concentrate on your sight picture, nothing else, and after you squeeze the trigger count slowly to three before putting the gun down.

Get a cheap BB or pellet gun with a miserable trigger, and practice with it until you can put the shots where you want them. Helps on follow through and trigger control, your biggest elements of shooting.
Concentrate on your sight picture, nothing else, and after you squeeze the trigger count slowly to three before putting the gun down.
That's not terrible advice.

If you can overcome a hard gritty trigger and maintain accuracy you can overcome almost anything.

Lots of good advice here!! I also am struggling with my flinchlock!! LOL!! I pull to hard and expect recoil! I need to work on “shooting” with a wooden flint!!

I find my breathing affects my aim and follow through. For me a slow natural exhale as I squeeze trigger and count to 3 after it goes off before I move. Just my way. Good luck.
This is something to look at because I'm definitely hearing the lock function. I'm shooting Kibler so don't tell me I have a slow lock.lol

Back