• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Follow through

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If your seeing the flash in the pan then you aren't looking where you should be.
You don't need a super light trigger pull 3 or 4 pounds is good. Always squeeze the trigger never jerk it. The best target shooter will tell you it should be a surprise when the gun goes off.
Just because the gun went off don't take it off your shoulder. Once you pull the trigger continue to hold on target until the smoke starts to clear. If the smoke clears and your sights are off target That is probably where your ball went.

If your seeing the flash in the pan then you aren't looking where you should be.
You don't need a super light trigger pull 3 or 4 pounds is good. Always squeeze the trigger never jerk it. The best target shooter will tell you it should be a surprise when the gun goes off.
Just because the gun went off don't take it off your shoulder. Once you pull the trigger continue to hold on target until the smoke starts to clear. If the smoke clears and your sights are off target That is probably where your ball went.
I have not found the surprise break of the trigger to ever be an aid to my competitive shooting. If the break is a surprise then the trigger is not very consistent or the shooter is inexperienced. If one shoots the same gun regularly and the trigger is tuned correctly your brain/ sub conscience and finger will know when it's going to break. The real aid I have found is to be able to call the shot so one knows instantly at the break where the shot will likely land. When I was competing at mid range matches regularly I could know my score with in a point or two before ever having it marked down range just from where the sights registered at the trigger break.
The follow through is to reacquiring the target after the recoil impulse which I believe is psychologically and muscle memory reinforcing the next shot.
The other benefit of follow through is using up the lag time in flint guns from trigger break, cock fall to main charge ignition which allows the sights to come back into alignment with the target at ball exit of the muzzle.

Last edited:
What Ronald says. While holding on the target, slowly squeeze the trigger. Like he said, you should be surprised when the gun goes off. Pay zero attention to the lock going off. It will not ever hurt you, and your focus will remain on your sight picture! đź‘Ť

I'm new to competing with a flintlock in NMLRA. Of course I'm having new shooter problems with follow through. Flinch,moving the muzzle before the ball leaved the barrel. So my question is what exactly
Is "follow through " and how to train for it? 99% of NMLRA is offhand so this is what I need to focus on.
Thanks in advance.
One thing you might try is to continue your trigger pull to the stop. As you sight and squeeze gently for the trigger to break don’t stop when the gun fires. Continue that same finger pressure until the trigger stops moving. Works for all guns, that extra second helps keep you steady.

When you are able to see exactly where the front sight is when your rifle fires...you will just feel it, and know where the ball went before the smoke clears.

Anytime I can't call the shot I know it's because I had both eyes shut my head out of the way. Lol
It seems to run in cycles too... One day, so calm and collected, and the next day not so much.

Dry firing is a waste of time for me because I know what's going on. What does work is to take full bag of balls and shoot until the flint gets so dull that my rifle stops firing,... then I learn things about my follow-through.

So much of dealing with follow through is dependent upon having a reliable lock. Spend the necessary effort to tune the lock for optimal performance. Knowing that the lock ignition to firing or the charge is nearly instant means that you can concentrate on the front sight and the target. When it all comes together, you never see the pan flash, but you see the smoke obscure the target as you know the sights are correctly aligned with the target.

Tune the lock. Practice dry firing with a wooden flint. Shoot lots of targets. Use modest loads. Don't confuse a heavy punishing load with a load needed for a successful hunt.

I'm new to competing with a flintlock in NMLRA. Of course I'm having new shooter problems with follow through. Flinch,moving the muzzle before the ball leaved the barrel. So my question is what exactly
Is "follow through " and how to train for it? 99% of NMLRA is offhand so this is what I need to focus on.
Thanks in advance.

Offhand shooting of any firearm depends on establishing your natural point of aim before each and every shot you fire. Once you have established it, you DON'T want to move your feet, so when you check each time before you fire, you should still be on your natural point of aim. Now I realize some BP shooters prefer to load at the bench and then move into the shooting position to shoot. If you do that, you MUST re-establish your natural point before every shot. Also, do this when dry firing with a wood flint at home.

Dry fire at least 10 times for each live round fired. This will strengthen your upper body and reduce your "wobble area" when shooting offhand. This will also help teach you not to be concerned about the movement of the flint or of it setting the priming off. This will also show you if you are flinching and it will help you learn how to call your shot.

When mounting your rifle/gun, always try to get the buttplate in your shoulder the exact same way each time. Same thing for your cheek weld (where you place your cheek on the stock) and how you hold the forearm of your rifle/gun with your non shooting hand. Uniformity in these areas will give you much better scores.

Take two or three somewhat deep breaths and hold the last breath as you smoothly and consistently pull the trigger. While doing that, I can't stress enough that you MUST maintain as perfect of sight alignment as possible, even though your wobble area or natural movement will not allow you to remain perfectly still and center on the target. You concentrate on perfect sight alignment even after the shot goes off and until "the bullet has a chance to go through the target." This will ensure correct follow through.

Now IF the shot doesn't go off before you run out of breath, then relax the pressure on the trigger and take the rifle/gun out of your shoulder and relax/breathe for a little while before trying again. If you hurry the shot because you are running out of breath, I can guarantee the shot will be a flyer.

As far as knowing when the shot is about to go off, I have found over the years that for MOST people, it is best for it to be a surprise. Please understand I've been doing trigger jobs for National and International Competition in BP and Modern shooting since 1973. I first joined THE Marine Corps Rifle Team as the Junior Armorer in 1975 and that's where I really learned "the Arte and Mysterie" of adjusting trigger pulls to the preferences of many of the very best shooters in the nation and world. Now, I'm not saying a minority of shooters don't do better when they know when a shot is going to go off, but they are far more the exception rather than the rule.

Finally and I don't care how great the shooter is, EVERYONE is going to screw up and occasionally shoot a bad shot. In National and International Competition, many shooters can win a match, but it is usually the one who makes the least mistakes that day who wins. So when you shoot a bad shot, forgive yourself and then go right back to trying to do everything as perfectly uniform as possible.

Gus

Total and complete focus/concentration of the eyes on the front sight when the trigger is squeezed……..
For every shot: BRASS…Breath, Relax, Aim, Sight picture, Squeeze
Practice-practice-practice!

Dry fire, Dry fire, Dry fire.

Most important when dry firing with that wooden flint, after the hammer falls did the sights move? If they did you missed.

The sights should stay on the same spot until you lower the rifle. And the more you dry fire the smaller your wobble area will be (different thread) because you are building strength in the muscles that are used during sighting.

When saying that it should be a surprise when the trigger breaks, yeah, maybe, but if you dry fire with the same gun ALOT, you pretty much know when the trigger is going to break and can hold still through the break.

I shoot a lot of Flintlock and Matchlock (mostly Pistol) and the most important thing that took me a long time to master was flinch. Follow through is something you learn quite early on but flinch is one of those things that you think you've conquered but it can still bite you in the a*se. Trigger pull, sight acquisition are all things to learn and good shooting glasses are also a must. Whether you choose to use a diopter or not, or even if it's allowed, shooting glasses will save you in more ways than one.

I have not found the surprise break of the trigger to ever be an aid to my competitive shooting. If the break is a surprise then the trigger is not very consistent or the shooter is inexperienced. If one shoots the same gun regularly and the trigger is tuned correctly your brain/ sub conscience and finger will know when it's going to break. The real aid I have found is to be able to call the shot so one knows instantly at the break where the shot will likely land. When I was competing at mid range matches regularly I could know my score with in a point or two before ever having it marked down range just from where the sights registered at the trigger break.
The follow through is to reacquiring the target after the recoil impulse which I believe is psychologically and muscle memory reinforcing the next shot.
The other benefit of follow through is using up the lag time in flint guns from trigger break, cock fall to main charge ignition which allows the sights to come back into alignment with the target at ball exit of the muzzle.
Beware the shooter who only has one rifle. Back many years ago when I was getting serious about competition I could only afford one rifle. I shot somewhere every weekend sometimes two different shoots on a weekend. Shot in several 2 and 3 day shoots plus the Territorial match and at Friendship. In addition I would practice 2 or 3 times a week. I used that little 8 lb. rifle for everything, offhand, primitive, cross stick and light bench and I won a lot of matches with it. As you point out you get very familiar with a rifle you shoot all the time. But that doesn't happen when you only shoot 10 or 15 shots once a month.

Caffeine…. Is not your Friend or a good shooting companion…👍
True, but IF you are a person who drinks a lot of coffee all day long, don't try to go coffee cold turkey on a shooting day. That will mess one up even more. Best to reduce caffeine intake in that case, but don't try to go without it.

Gus

My shooting improved tremendously when I dropped the powder charge and caliber. I have worked my way back up on caliber, but, try to use the lightest charge that is accurate for what I'm using. Dry fire with just the pan charged helps, and lots of balls down the muzzle, but, there are those days, we I just have to tell myself, focus dumb ass, focus.

All I know is that I learned to follow through when shooting serious High Power rifle and my scores improved a lot. Same applies to the muzzle loaders that I shoot nowadays, I still have trouble with the flintlocks due to the way the lock works but I'm working on it.

Back