• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Follow through

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Offhand shooting of any firearm depends on establishing your natural point of aim before each and every shot you fire. Once you have established it, you DON'T want to move your feet, so when you check each time before you fire, you should still be on your natural point of aim. Now I realize some BP shooters prefer to load at the bench and then move into the shooting position to shoot. If you do that, you MUST re-establish your natural point before every shot. Also, do this when dry firing with a wood flint at home.

Dry fire at least 10 times for each live round fired. This will strengthen your upper body and reduce your "wobble area" when shooting offhand. This will also help teach you not to be concerned about the movement of the flint or of it setting the priming off. This will also show you if you are flinching and it will help you learn how to call your shot.

When mounting your rifle/gun, always try to get the buttplate in your shoulder the exact same way each time. Same thing for your cheek weld (where you place your cheek on the stock) and how you hold the forearm of your rifle/gun with your non shooting hand. Uniformity in these areas will give you much better scores.

Take two or three somewhat deep breaths and hold the last breath as you smoothly and consistently pull the trigger. While doing that, I can't stress enough that you MUST maintain as perfect of sight alignment as possible, even though your wobble area or natural movement will not allow you to remain perfectly still and center on the target. You concentrate on perfect sight alignment even after the shot goes off and until "the bullet has a chance to go through the target." This will ensure correct follow through.

Now IF the shot doesn't go off before you run out of breath, then relax the pressure on the trigger and take the rifle/gun out of your shoulder and relax/breathe for a little while before trying again. If you hurry the shot because you are running out of breath, I can guarantee the shot will be a flyer.

As far as knowing when the shot is about to go off, I have found over the years that for MOST people, it is best for it to be a surprise. Please understand I've been doing trigger jobs for National and International Competition in BP and Modern shooting since 1973. I first joined THE Marine Corps Rifle Team as the Junior Armorer in 1975 and that's where I really learned "the Arte and Mysterie" of adjusting trigger pulls to the preferences of many of the very best shooters in the nation and world. Now, I'm not saying a minority of shooters don't do better when they know when a shot is going to go off, but they are far more the exception rather than the rule.

Finally and I don't care how great the shooter is, EVERYONE is going to screw up and occasionally shoot a bad shot. In National and International Competition, many shooters can win a match, but it is usually the one who makes the least mistakes that day who wins. So when you shoot a bad shot, forgive yourself and then go right back to trying to do everything as perfectly uniform as possible.

Gus
Solid piece of advice from Gus, particularly with the natural shooting position or natural point of aim. It makes follow thru much easier when you don’t have to fight your own muscles to do it! Good practice, if the venue allows it, is to trace your feet with chalk once you establish your natural shooting position while on target. That way you can come back to it much easier shot after shot when you step away to load.

Shoot a lot and it gets easier to ignore all that going on with the flintlock.

What worked for me was realizing that I just needed to be a fence post supporting the gun as it went off.

If you watch slow motion video of a flintlock firing you will see the ball is gone long before the bloom of flash erupts from the pan. So just focus on the front sight and apply pressure to the trigger.

The distraction of the flintlock creates a flinch as you press the trigger. You have to defeat that flinch. That’s what disturbs your sight picture. Again, all the bad stuff from the lock happens AFTER the ball is gone.

Shooting more will help more than anything else.

Explaining things to a new shooter (or any physical skill) and teaching them about it is the best way to understand it and practice it yourself. My shooting has improved enormously since I started teaching (Scouts mostly).

For example; Here is one trick I use to demonstrate and eliminate flinch to new shooters with pistols. I'll only let the student shooter fire one shot at a time. After the shot, they hand the gun to me and I either load it for them, or I'll give them back a gun with an empty chamber and let them shoot (or not shoot) another round. If I see the muzzle moving appreciably when they dry fire on the empty chamber anticipating they're touching off a live round, I'll immediately point it out that they were "jumping the shot". Then I'll make them dry fire 2-3 more times and NOT "jump the shot". They get it. If they don't, then I make them do 10 push-ups each time they flinch on a dry chamber. The more tired they get, the less prone they are to flinch!

Lots of great advice here. Don't forget I'm coming from USPSA. Our splits need to be under .03 of a second. We definitely don't "follow through " for 3 seconds. Call shots yes but you can't waste time on a target. Different type of competition requires different techniques. Trigger pull,breathing and sight picture seem to be universal. I'm learning alot from this thread and am looking forward to seeing the improvement on the range.

Well now lets see . You learn hold by dry fire with a wood chip. You position and dry shot until the only thing that moves is the is the hammer. Now forward bayonet thrust. No stock movement to the rear mimic at recoil.
:et the rifle rest against your shoulder and lay on you forearm. just remeber BRASS Breath relax aim slack and squeeze. Have a buddy check you on the range. Buen Powder!
Hornbender

True, but IF you are a person who drinks a lot of coffee all day long, don't try to go coffee cold turkey on a shooting day. That will mess one up even more. Best to reduce caffeine intake in that case, but don't try to go without it.

Gus

I think he was hinting at "Coffee bladder" and the need to relieve it unexpectedly.

Front Sight, Front Sight, Front Sight.
Clear your mind, only the Front Sight matters.
Once focused on the Front Sight and it is placed on the target - Fire. Keep Focused on Front Sight, don't blink, keep Front Sight on target through the smoke, once you can SEE the Front Sight on target (smoke clears), your done, 'follow through' over.

That's what I do, I found counting and other stuff I have been told to be distracting.
Just clear your mind, focus on Front Sight, hold on target and Only focus on Front Sight until smoke clears so you CONFIRM your Front Sight is still on target.

Lots of great advice here. Don't forget I'm coming from USPSA. Our splits need to be under .03 of a second. We definitely don't "follow through " for 3 seconds. Call shots yes but you can't waste time on a target. Different type of competition requires different techniques. Trigger pull,breathing and sight picture seem to be universal. I'm learning alot from this thread and am looking forward to seeing the improvement on the range.

I have a card somewhere with an M on it…picked up every one except D shooting matches, not classifiers. That said, one of the things that really helped me when I started shooting rock locks was not trying to control, or over control, the rifle.

There is no split, no second shot, no follow up shot. There is zero reason to control recoil…you won’t be reengaging until after reloading. Once I processed that realization and turned off the muscle memory I had from other types of shooting, the fence post I mentioned above became much easier and my shooting advanced very quickly.

Actually from the very beginning I never noticed the pan flash. This was good since I could then focus on the front sight. Now back when I hunted deer and small game it was in the Georgia woods, thick with briars shrubs and canebrake rattlers. When I would see a shootable deer I had to shoot quickly because they always seemed to be moving from a walk to maybe a run. This meant in seconds they would be in the thick stuff and safe from anything I could do. I got use to "snap shooting" which is a misnomer. The rifle I hunted with was built to suit my "smallish" frame. I would throw the rifle up to my shoulder and the sights would be aligned on target with the shot coming almost immediately as the rifle touched my shoulder.

I never tried to shoot game while standing although it might have happened and I forgot. If I were standing I immediately dropped to a knee which was much more solid. My real problem - which is still a problem to this day - is that when I have plenty of time to make a shot (targets not game) I too often rushed the the trigger. With the muzzle moving in a horizontal "8" across the target I sometimes pulled the trigger too quickly. It's worse now because I have developed something of a tremor, plus my eyes aren't what they use to be. I was intimately familiar with my rifle back then and fired it a lot, but I haven't been shooting near as much as I once did. I'm working on my concentration a lot and that's about all I can do.

I was taught to visually ride the front sight during the firing. If you can't tell me where the front sight went two seconds after the boom, there was insufficient follow through. Just my method.

it is a mental thing, i am right at 66 years old, i have been shooting since i was big enough to. and handloading ammunition from the age of 10 years old. i killed deer often offhand and many times with pistols, yes i was a skilled shooter, LOL till i tried my first flintlock, i was flinching like barny fife! if you are too young to know him google it, i knew it was mental, i started counting to 3 as i put pressure on the trigger, i made my mind up not to move till i got to 3, of course i never got past 1 before the gun went off. counting got my mind off of the hammer falling and concentrating on being still and on the target. now i do not flinch or have to count. try this maybe it will help you,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Ok, so I have been dry firing with a wooden flint. Went to my second match with this gun and shot well enough that the guy running the black powder match asked me if I would be willing to shoot on the clubs team at the NMLRA NC state match. They haven't won in three years. He feels we have a chance to win if myself and another guy shoot. The other guy is way better than me.

Ok, so I have been dry firing with a wooden flint. Went to my second match with this gun and shot well enough that the guy running the black powder match asked me if I would be willing to shoot on the clubs team at the NMLRA NC state match. They haven't won in three years. He feels we have a chance to win if myself and another guy shoot. The other guy is way better than me.
Good job!

Back