• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Food Wraps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
When it comes to food preservation was waxed or “oiled” cloth a thing back in the 18th century? I can see it being quite useful for wrapping certain foods or capping bottles or jars. I suspect linen would have been used over cotton as it was generally cheaper.

FYI waxed linen has a tendency to mildew, so it's best and cheaper to make your own waxed linen covers to replace the yucky mildewed covers.

The linen wax is a combination of beeswax and boiled linseed oil. Some recipes include a bit of paraffin wax, too. Plenty of recipes online for the correct proportion of each, can't remember off the top of my head. Wax dries hard and it crumbles. BLO makes the beeswax flexible.

Put the linen circles on a bed of paper towels. Melt the wax mixture and paint the linen with a disposable brush. Then use a heat gun to even out the wax. The excess wax drips through into the paper towels.

Back