• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

"for a few dollars more" carbine/revolver

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duke21

40 Cal.
Reaction score
any of you guys remember the "for a few dollars more" movie with eastwood and van cleef. near the beginning Van Cleef got a fancy revolver out, and attached a rather fancy buttstock to it via some finger nuts on the revolver stock, then shot the bad guy all the way down the street. anyhow, what was this gun, and has it been reproduced or anyone out here make one of there own?

Inquiring minds just gotta know!!!

good shooting today guys,

duke21

I don't remember what they used in the movie, but I guess you could put a stock on just about anything.

This is an original Colt 3rd Model Dragoon.

3rdmodel2.jpg

i think i am going to have to look at the movie again. my memory tells me that there was a screw that went up from the rifle stock into the bottom of the grip frame on the revolver. It was somewhat similar to your pic, yet was very fancy in appearance.

thanks,
duke21

duke21 said:
i think i am going to have to look at the movie again. my memory tells me that there was a screw that went up from the rifle stock into the bottom of the grip frame on the revolver. It was somewhat similar to your pic, yet was very fancy in appearance.

The pistol appears to be a Colt, but keep in mind the stock was most likely made by the Italian prop department.

Van1399.jpg

BINGO!!!

Claude, that is the man, and that is the gun, not the best shot of the gun, but nonetheless it is it. there was long drawn out scene in the movie where he gets this gun out and takes his sweet time assembling the stock etc, all the while the bad guy is trying to down him from Way down the street. I happen to like the old cap and ball type revolvers, but also love my rifles. i thought this was a real sweet way of having your cake and eat it too.

now we know which gun i am speaking of, any chances it has been made or reproduced other than just for the movie?

duke21

just noticed the shell ejector on bottom of the barrel on that gun. maybe i need to watch the movie again, i coulda swore it was a cap and ball. doesnt really matter, i like both anyways.

duke21

duke21 said:
just noticed the shell ejector on bottom of the barrel on that gun. maybe i need to watch the movie again, i coulda swore it was a cap and ball. doesnt really matter, i like both anyways.

I think they might have been percussion in the first film and cartridge in the second.

Now I have to watch them all again... Research you know. :haha:

Thanks for posting that question, I have a 12" barrel 'Buffalo' Remington that I've thought of a stock for. Maybe some info will come up, that is what I thought he had for the scene.

I think some of the guns were colt cappers with the conversion kit to cartridge, or maybe that was the G the B and the U....

Claude said:
I don't remember what they used in the movie, but I guess you could put a stock on just about anything.

This is an original Colt 3rd Model Dragoon.

3rdmodel2.jpg

Okay y'all "made" me get out my DVD and zoom in on it. This first scene he uses it, it's difficult to tell what type of revolver other than it is a cartridge. The rifle stock clips on the dimple of the revolver butt and at the top with a piece of metal that forms like a "C" coming out from the stock. It has a sort of large tightening screw at the bottom that appears to draw the two ends of the "C" closer together thus tightening it. Sort of like a C-clamp.

It's really difficult to see things on the revolver that tell me what it is, but it "seems" like the sites are more Remington than Colt, but even at 4 zoom and slow it is almost impossible for these eyes to tell. I'll search for different scenes.

uberti makes this setup with the 18" buntline pistol and separate stock; i have one in 45 colt. could probably find one with 16" barrel, of course anything shorter would be illegal if modern.

Colt did make an 8 shot revolving rifle, I don't know if the stock was detachable though. :winking:

Im sure without reading any of the post below someone has told you it wasnt a cap+ball but a long barrel Colt center fire. Fred :hatsoff:

Just dug-out the movie from the tri-pack with a fist full of dollars and the good, the bad and the ugly...guess I got me an excuse to go on Clint overload...due you feel lucky??

Back to the remote, Dave

Looks like an 1873 Colt cartridge revolver, with a long barrel. I know that Colt made detachable shoulder stocks for the .44 Army cap n' ball, but not sure about the centerfires. As others have said, the centerfire would be illegal today with less than a 16" barrel.

Here's one for Paul the lawyer: How does the term "curio or relic" play into the 16" revolver with stock. Here in NJ some exemptions can be applied to curios and relics. If it was against federal law, not even museums would be allowed to have & display an example.

Of course that doesn't stop NJ from designing it's own :bull: :shocked2: that even the State Police Firearms Unit won't be held to their own pamphlets that they distribute at Sporting Shows.

My escape is in the planning stages now!

Dave

Considering the date, I'd guess Uberti or another probably put the extra, large screws on the frame of a SAA Colt clone for the movie. The butt stock is the metal/wood type Colt made for the percussion line and not the skeletal iron variety used on the cartridge guns a couple decades later. Remember the scene in one of the "Spaghetti Westerns" where Lee van Cleef keeps bouncing Clint Eastwood's hat down the street till when Eastwood shoots at the villian all shots land short...a little more front sight would have Lee to Boot Hill! :winking:

wes/tex, that is the same movie( for a few dollars more) i thought for sure i would get to research it myself a bit more by now, but things have been real crazy around here.

anyhow, seems that i am far from being the only clint fan around here. somehow i am one of those that can watch a john wayne type western with as much enthusiasm as a spaghetti western. although i will admit there are some dorky spaghetti westerns, i am a fan of the eastwood variety.

anyhow in this movie van cleeve seems to have quite an assortment of weapons on hand. twice in the movie he rolled out a blanket that had probably 5 or 6 different firearms secured in it, not to mention his sidearm.

dont know why but i just dig these old cap and ball revolvers. heck, i even like the nifty little pocket revolvers.

Anyhow, gotta check out that uberti site, maybe there is something similar there.

thanks for all your feedback, this has been fun.

good shooting,

duke21

well i was finally able to rewatch some of this movie last night. the gun is not a cap and ball, so my bad. It appeared to be a 1873 colt or similar SAA gun. Still a pretty cool piece. There is a line in the movie where eastwood is looking over the gun and says to van cleeve , " i cant believe someone in this line of work uses a gun like this" I must admit , it is a bit different.

anyhow, thanks for all your help. maybe i can start saying some greenbacks to get me the cap and ball version.

again thanks, and god bless,

duke21

Latest posts

Back