• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Purchasing powder- a humorous outing

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Sniper68 and JBWilliams,

I'm in Manassas and get my Goex at Clark Brothers in Warrenton. Not especially cheap but they won't look at you like you just arrived from Mars and no gratuitous comments. They actually assume you know what you want and need.

My wife and I start retirement this summer and hope to do a lot more shooting. So I may go the bulk shipment route for 3F, which fills 95% of my BP needs, and use Clark Brothers for the occaisional can of 2F and 4F.

Jeff

brett sr said:
Now if it were me, being the anal body part that I oftem come across as, I would save your original text (cut and paste) and gather every email address that I could, by finding the board of directors, home office, "to contact us" ect and email it to every one of them.
Guaranteed, you WILL get someone's attention up the ladder. Usually a "VP" or someone like that.
I dont tend to put up with mentality from employees who think the know the rules better than me, nor from the folks put into a position to represent a business without full knowledge of what they are representing.

You've heard of the guy that sends his big mac back because it doesn't look like the represenitive sample in the picture on the menu? (you know the burger with the patty 1/2 off one side and the top bun crushed and 1/2 off on the other side) Well, Thats me.

email addy's for upper end management and ceo staff as well as BOD folks is pretty easy to come by. Usually their own corporate home page will get you there!

Great story by the way!

Exactly!!

If you are in No. Va., I suggest Back Creek Gun Shop in Winchester, Va. Good prices and good service. I drive up about twice a year from Williamsburg. It's a nice day trip!!

Cheers, Bill

Yep, Back Creek is the place to go when I don’t have a gift card. Great place to go when we’re headed to Winchester to meet friends of ours.

Sniper,

I’m from Fredericksburg, Spotsylvania County, just a little south of you.

Bkiovr,Most folks from SLC make runs up here to Evanston, Wyoming. We have a Goex Dist. located here. The magazine is 7 miles south of town on Hwy 150. I think it is $15.00 per can, and they have bulk prices as well. They are shooters so no big city BS. :)

Fellow Virginians,

Thanks for the heads up about Back Creek. I checked the website and it's just what I need. Those are good prices and won't even have the shipping and hazmat charges. Might go up there during the N-SSA nationals in May. I'm not a reenactor but it's worth the trip just for the aroma of all that BP smoke.

It will make a pleasant drive during the spring, which will be nice after this miserable winter we're having.

Jeff

this is a really funny story, we have a gander mountain up here, i've never tried asking for BP from them but i'm posistive i'd get the same run around too even if they did. i love it when inline shooters know more then me. just like a couple of years ago at the range i was benching my whitworth at 100yrds for new loads and a couple of inline guys were sighting in for deer season. they figured out pretty quick it's rude to ask someone if they're getting ready to fight the civil war.

I've been sitting here lol while I read this whole thread.

About a year ago I was in the market for a case of real black and wanted to try Goex even though I had only shot KIK and subs before that. So I looked up Goex on the web, found a regional distributor in Minnesota and gave them a call. A lady who answered the phone told me they did not handle real black powder only the subs. I then said how can you be a regional distributor and not handle the real thing. So she let talk to her boss who also told me the same thing, they only sell the subs.

Now can it be possible that a regional distributor for Goex don't sell real black or were these two so out to lunch that they just didn't know.

I ended up going to Powder Inc. and got good service and was real happy. But I was sure baffled and now even more so. Almost want call or e-mail them again to see if I get the same answer.

This is a story that Goex should hear about, directly from you. If some " distributor " is no longer carrying their product, Goex should not be sending them business on their website. NO? Send this post to Goex. :hatsoff:

medic302 said:
i love it when inline shooters know more then me. just like a couple of years ago at the range i was benching my whitworth at 100yrds for new loads and a couple of inline guys were sighting in for deer season. they figured out pretty quick it's rude to ask someone if they're getting ready to fight the civil war.

:rotf: :rotf:

I hope you newer shooters who have looked in your area for real black powder read this topic.

Real black powder cannot be out on a shelf in the store. It must be kept in a locked powder safe that meets Fed. regulations.

Most employees in the store don't even know what that big locked box in back contains so they will not know that real black powder even exists in the store.

Always try to find the store manager and ask him for the powder. If he's new, although the store owner would know, he might not know that they have it so ask him if he would go and look for a locked powder cabinet.

Listen politely to the store employees recommendations about the wonders of modern powders and plastic sleeved bullets but forget everything they've said as soon as you leave the store.

Rock Island said:
I gave up asking for real black locally, nobody has it, and I get tired of listening to how pyrodex will work in my flinter. I mail order it in 20-30 pound lots, pay the one shot hazmat fee and no hassles. Most of my muskets and pistols are big bore and they eat it up fast.
Yeah, I run by or order from Powder Inc. you can buy for as little as $12 pound and they will let you mix. 5lb. min. order.
Saves money on blood pressure meds. :doh:

That is so dang funny! Glad to know I am not alone. Ain't it just the way sometimes with folks? :rotf:

Picked up a can 3f yesterday. 20.00 AND was told it was prob going up :shocked2: Guess I will look else where or order. Larry Wv

Great story and a very funny read. Thanks for sharing. Makes me wonder if some of the places I have asked carries b.p. after all. I always got the b.p. substitue refferal.

BullRunBear said:
Hi Sniper68 and JBWilliams,

I'm in Manassas and get my Goex at Clark Brothers in Warrenton. Not especially cheap but they won't look at you like you just arrived from Mars and no gratuitous comments. They actually assume you know what you want and need.

My wife and I start retirement this summer and hope to do a lot more shooting. So I may go the bulk shipment route for 3F, which fills 95% of my BP needs, and use Clark Brothers for the occaisional can of 2F and 4F.

Jeff

I have also used Clark Brothers for BP. Interestingly enough. Jim Clark was killed in 1970 in an explosion at the store; sparks from a welder supposedly set off bulk BP in a storeroom and it was a violent explosion. They often sold BP repackaged in plastic food-type containers with snap on lids; I never thought that this was safe. I prefer to buy 25lb cases, pay the hazmat and shipping and be done with it.

Wow this is a very helpful thread. I live in Stafford County & I'm new to flintlocks and was wondering were I could get some black powder.
Thanks all!

This is hilarious! Makes you wonder how many of them it takes too change a light bulb. :shake: :haha:
I can’t say I haven’t "been there, done that" though, just not at Gander!

Back