• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

? for Lyman 54 Plains Pistol Shooters

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarge

32 Cal.
Reaction score
What ball size do you use for good accuracy in these guns? Reason I ask is because I have a tight 54 rifle that needs .530, and I'm considering a mold.

mine shoots good with 530 and a pillow ticking patch use 45 grains of 3f as a hunting load seems to do as good with lighter loads like 25 or 30 of 3f goex for target as well out to 25 yards.

I built a .54 that likes .530 with 30gr fff just fine. My mold is a Lee. Have fun with it!

Merdean

Thanks, gentlemen. Much appreciated. I haven't bought the pistol yet but wanted to make sure .530 would give good results in both 54's, when I did.

.530 on pillow ticking is what I run in mine also. It should work fine for you.

My 54 cal likes .530 balls with .010 wonderpatches. Terrific accuracy.

Zoar said:

That's what I was lookin' for right there...0.010 and 0.530 works great in ol' Santa Fe and I intend to keep/cast just one size of patch & ball.

Thank you all again, gents.

Sarge said:
Zoar said:

That's what I was lookin' for right there...0.010 and 0.530 works great in ol' Santa Fe and I intend to keep/cast just one size of patch & ball.

Thank you all again, gents.
Thanks for sharing the link to your longgun too. I enjoyed the read, especially since our tastes seem to be the same. I am looking for a similar longgun and postol combo myself.
Dan

Back