• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

For my Fellow Colorblind Hunters...a cure?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My son is red/green colorblind and could never follow a ribbon trail unless it were blue or yellow. He couldn't see blood at all and always had to hunt with someone because of it. However, he was an art director for a print saltwater fishing magazine for several years. He could tell what the colors were supposed to be instead of what they looked like to him. The hardest for him was distinguishing between purples and browns.

I know he's not going to be injected with a virus to maybe fix it. :youcrazy:

Thanks, I am red/green and blue/green color blind, about as bad as it gets.

Interesting article.

I am not going to be not going to be injected with a virus to maybe fix it, to durn old.

Thank you.

Richard Eames said:
I am not going to be not going to be injected with a virus to maybe fix it

I found the "theoretical" non-harmful virus use as quite interesting. We are commonly injected with dead viruses for inoculation (in fact I've had live weakened flu virus), but getting a full-strength live one to "carry" the genetic fix to the target area is very ingenious, and I would venture to say that 20 years from now, many genetic fixes may be done this way. Whatever the virus is, it apparently has no ill-effect on the monkeys. Not sure I'd line up to be the first in the human trials, but if proven effective and safe, I'd go have it done when available.

For people like my grandson, who is 9 now and "caught" this from his carrier mother, my daughter, I think there is a real possibility he won't have to live with this affliction for a lifetime.

My uncle is color blind to red/green, also. He was a surgeon. Saw blood as gray. Has a terrible time tracking a deer's blood trail.

My cousin (not my uncle's son) is also color blind to red/green. He's a pharmacist. Years ago, he got a contact allowing him to see color. When he walked into his mom's house wearing the new contact, he never realized there was that much color in the house.

Google: "contact lense for color blindness"

"For people like my grandson, who is 9 now and "caught" this from his carrier mother, my daughter, I think there is a real possibility he won't have to live with this affliction for a lifetime."

You do not catch color blindness, is it inherited just like baldness.

I do not consider color blindness as an affliction. I have managed just fine for 65 years.

When shopping for clothes I would find a pair of pants and a shirt that even I knew did not go together and find a nice looking lady and ask do these go together? They take pity on you, take you under their wing and take care of you. Color blindness can be a dating service when worked correctly.

Richard Eames said:
You do not catch color blindness, is it inherited just like baldness.

Correct, hence the quotes around the word to denote that it wasn't literal.

After a little more recent reading, I also learned that the reason women are rarely colorblind is because it's carried in the X chromosome, but very rarely do both of a woman's X chromosomes carry it, only one. So for women, the undamaged chromosome prevents them from being personally affected. But, unfortunately for men, it still passes on from our carrier mothers, and men only having one X chromosome, we're screwed.

While I too have adapted, I would still like to see what others see. My wife can see blood by Coleman lantern light at night 30 feet ahead. I can barely see it at my feet and then many times only if someone points it out. Fortunately, most drop in sight or within sight of the last place I saw them from stand, so don't have to do much bloodtrailing, but it would still be nice to have an easier time of it when needed.

Color blindness (red/green) almost kept me out of the Corps. At the physical we had to pick out words and numbers from sheets of colored dots. All I could see were dots! At the time they were mostly looking for bodies with working trigger fingers. The Corpsman pointed at a light and asked what color it was. I said red (correct). He pointed at the table and asked what color it was. I said green. He said you're OK and sent me to the next station. I would love to know what I've been missing all this time. I would even volunteer for the human trials if I could pass for being a human.

It can be an asset at times.

I can wear what I want and when the other half complains, I tell her I am color blind and those like me don't know or care. I look normal to them.

Besides, my cows do not care as long as they get fed.

Oudoceus said:
Color blindness (red/green) almost kept me out of the Corps. At the physical we had to pick out words and numbers from sheets of colored dots. All I could see were dots! At the time they were mostly looking for bodies with working trigger fingers. The Corpsman pointed at a light and asked what color it was. I said red (correct). He pointed at the table and asked what color it was. I said green. He said you're OK and sent me to the next station. I would love to know what I've been missing all this time. I would even volunteer for the human trials if I could pass for being a human.

Almost the same here, each time I take the test I fail, and failed it going into the service. I asked does this get me out of going into the military and the response was you are breathing and go through that door.

I have a license from the Coast Guard and if you are color blind you are not supposed to have it.

After failing the test a couple of times, the guy said it's over for you. I told him you just cost me my job.

He asked why and I told him I just got out of the Air Force (1975) and without the license I would be fired.

He said maybe he made a mistake, and gave me the test over and over until I memorized the sequence of his questions and correct answers.

When I left he said, thanks for your time in the service and be durn careful at blinking lights on the highway, red and yellow.

It's nice they are working on a cure for color blindness, I would rather someone find a cure for cancer, then I would have had a mother.

Oudoceus said:
Color blindness (red/green) almost kept me out of the Corps.

My wife's uncle is color blind and they took him into WWII to ID enemy gun emplacements from aerial photos. The job kept him out of combat but not out of Europe.

Richard Eames said:
It can be an asset at times.

Yes it can. When the back of a cereal box has one of those kids games that require them to use the red lense inside the box to figure out the puzzle, I can just read it without the red lense. Since the game is designed for people with normal color vision, I can see through it and read it. As stated in another post, a relative was used to find enemy positions. My long-time neighbor when I was growing up was on the other side in WWII in the Luftwaffe and told me they used colorblind individuals to do the same as they could see through the camo netting and spot what was underneath.

All in all though, I'd rather have normal color vision.

Back