• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

For the Want of a Wire Coat Hanger

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The other half cleared the house of wire clothes hangers even though I requested some be saved. The first time a project of hers required a wire clothes hanger, I ordered some online while the project sat. Should have seen the look on the other half’s face when the box was opened. After using one to accomplish the mission, suggested the rest be tossed, after all, replacements were available ‘next day’, be it for an outrageous price. We now seem to be all stocked up on wire clothes hangers.

I threw probably about 50+ in the recycle can a couple of weeks ago. I didn’t know people found a whole lot of uses for them. I have used them in the past for one thing or the other but mainly used for hanging clothes.

I did call the local Goodwill and asked them if they wanted them, they declined.

A long pice odnhobby tub
Like many, if not, most of you, we have gotten rid of all of our wire coat hangers over the years. This has been a mistake. I regularly find myself in need of a long, stiff, but flexible, piece of wire that will hold a tight bend. Today is one of those days. I bought a Pedersoli Kentucky flintlock that had been used in some movie or another. They shot blank loads of some sub, the one that leaves a heavy grey residue, but a shiny bore underneath. So, I'm scrubbing this barrel out with a tight bronze brush and making good progress. Wanted to really get breech scrubbed, so rod went into cordless drill, something I have done many times. This time, the brush head pulled out of the threaded base. Small brushes won't grab it. Patch puller won't grab it. But you know what would grab it? A straightened wire coat hanger with a small hook bent on the end. This makes me crazy, as the bore is cleaning up nicely. A little more work with the Scotchbrite pad strips and it will be good to go. IF I can get that brush head out!
i
Like many, if not, most of you, we have gotten rid of all of our wire coat hangers over the years. This has been a mistake. I regularly find myself in need of a long, stiff, but flexible, piece of wire that will hold a tight bend. Today is one of those days. I bought a Pedersoli Kentucky flintlock that had been used in some movie or another. They shot blank loads of some sub, the one that leaves a heavy grey residue, but a shiny bore underneath. So, I'm scrubbing this barrel out with a tight bronze brush and making good progress. Wanted to really get breech scrubbed, so rod went into cordless drill, something I have done many times. This time, the brush head pulled out of the threaded base. Small brushes won't grab it. Patch puller won't grab it. But you know what would grab it? A straightened wire coat hanger with a small hook bent on the end. This makes me crazy, as the bore is cleaning up nicely. A little more work with the Scotchbrite pad strips and it will be good to go. IF I can get that brush head out!
A long piece of brass pr aluminum hobby tubing just under bore size should capture it. If bore is longer than the 3 ft. tube, ypu could jam/ glue/ tape it to a dowel. It goes down there, surrounds and captures the brush pretty easily if something simpler doesn't work first. Copper plumping tube or a busted flyrod could even work. Thinwall is best, as long as it's got a little strength.

I keep what is probably a lifetime supply in the corner of my closet, I seldom need one, but every now and then..........

wire hangers.JPG

A long pice odnhobby tub

i

A long piece of brass pr aluminum hobby tubing just under bore size should capture it. If bore is longer than the 3 ft. tube, ypu could jam/ glue/ tape it to a dowel. It goes down there, surrounds and captures the brush pretty easily if something simpler doesn't work first. Copper plumping tube or a busted flyrod could even work. Thinwall is best, as long as it's got a little strength.
The glue would fail and then I would have a length of copper tubing in the bore. That is how my luck seems to be running.

1722786129557.png

Wire coat hangers have so many uses besides retrieving bore brushes. I had to pull the breach plug on a pistol once because of a stuck copper wire bore brush. Haven't used a wire brush since!
Where would our horners be without wire coat hangers to measure cow horn cavities?

I found myself in need of a small length of old fashioned metal pallet strapping, the kind you could not avoid stepping near or on anywhere in the USA. Not to be found.

Music wire beats the clothes hangars. And it comes in different sizes.
True that! Except for the fact that wire coat hangers were free, said the guy who never throws anything out that might have a use down the line AND a barn to keep it all in (but may have some difficulty finding it :oops: ). BTW I'm not cheap, I'm frugal!

True that! Except for the fact that wire coat hangers were free, said the guy who never throws anything out that might have a use down the line AND a barn to keep it all in (but may have some difficulty finding it :oops: ). BTW I'm not cheap, I'm frugal!
I wouldn’t be surprised if over 50% of those of us on this forum are hoarders. My own dear mother (God rest her soul) called me a hoarder and I don’t deny that.

When I have watched the hoarder TV show, I can relate to many of the comments made by the hoarders. Among them, I just might need it someday, I plan on selling that (though I have never sold anything that I acquired with the intention of selling), I can’t get rid of that, it belonged to my (insert loved one here), it was a bargain, I couldn’t pass it up, etc.

I don’t have a barn to store hoarded objects in but I do have a house, a garage and a shed, all of which are packed with more stuff than I will ever use. The 50+ coat hangers that I mentioned in a previous post sat wire tied together in two bunches, sitting on my kitchen floor for at least two years before I finally put them in the recycle bin. So far I haven’t regretted getting rid of them but I’m sure someday I will. This thread has caused me to wonder if I made a mistake by getting rid of them. Thanks…Not!

Back