• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

fore end or nose cap

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Squire1

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Gentlemen I've noticed for the most part long rifles have a metal cap on the stock at the muzzle end. I can see the use for this in a military arm, bayonet, etc., but am unsure as to it's need on a civilian arm. Is it practical or simply a common feature?

Regards,
Squire

It was nearly univeral in colonial rifles of the 18thn century as later rifles and many fowlers thru time did not have it, I cannot speak as to a NEED for one, most types of rifles if replicated would be a bit out of place without one of the proper material for the time

It can help protect the delicate wood at the end of the forestock. :wink:

Yes, I was just curious if the cap had any purpose other than protective or decorative in other than an historical sense. I can see how a decked out rifle wouldn't look right without one.

Squire

Thanks Stump that's why I posed the question. I figured there was some practical reason the stock terminated in a metal cap but why the practice started wasn't apparent to me.

Regards,
Squire

Latest posts

Back