• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Forestock on a swamped barreled rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike Brooks said:
No. the sides of the stock follow the contour of the swamped barrel. The top and bottom of the stock taper from the breech to the muzzle, but ram rod exposure stays consistant from end to end.

In other words, the web separating the barrel from the RR channel is thinner at the muzzle than at the breech, on a gun sporting a swamped barrel.

That would would account for the tapered effect and give a little more clearance for the front lock bolt.

Yes? No?
J.D.

J.D. said:
Mike Brooks said:
No. the sides of the stock follow the contour of the swamped barrel. The top and bottom of the stock taper from the breech to the muzzle, but ram rod exposure stays consistant from end to end.

In other words, the web separating the barrel from the RR channel is thinner at the muzzle than at the breech, on a gun sporting a swamped barrel.

That would would account for the tapered effect and give a little more clearance for the front lock bolt.

Yes? No?
J.D.

No. The web should be about 1/8" at the muzzle as well as the breech. The taper comes in that the barrel is wider at the breech than the muzzle therefore, if the web is the same then the whole forend/forestock will taper. Since the web is the same at each end and the RR channel is straight, the web will be wider/thicker at the waist.

Gent's: Thank you for the comments.
As I suspected, viewed from the top or the bottom of the gun, the thickness of the fore end follows the swamp of the barrel which will make the 'thickness' of the wood uniform when measured from the side flat of the barrel.

The ramrod runs parallel with the centerline of the bore and the bottom of the fore end pretty much follows the center of the ramrod revealing about 1/2 of it.

At least that's how I've made em and I was happy with the results. :grin:
zonie :)

Zonie said:
The ramrod runs parallel with the centerline of the bore

No. if the RR ran parallel with the bore and you had a standard 1/8" web at the muzzle you would only have 1/16" web at the breech because the barrel is fatter at the breech. Having a 1/8" web at the muzzle and a 1/8" web at the breech, produces the taper Mike was reffering to.

Cody said:
J.D. said:
Mike Brooks said:

Yes? No?
J.D.

No. The web should be about 1/8" at the muzzle as well as the breech. The taper comes in that the barrel is wider at the breech than the muzzle therefore, if the web is the same then the whole forend/forestock will taper. Since the web is the same at each end and the RR channel is straight, the web will be wider/thicker at the waist.

Cody has it right, and explained this far better than I did. If you were using a straight barrel this taper from breech to muzzle wouldn't exist.

Mike and Cody,

Thanks for your responses. That does make sense.

I do appreciate your sharing your knowledge with the members of this board.

It's people like you who make th is board what it is.
J.D.

Is it just my eyes or does it appear that the English rifle in Schumays book by Turvey I think,
has a bit of arc in the forestock bottom line when viewed from the side? it looks to have a bit more wood close to the muzzle than at the waist to me.

tg said:
Is it just my eyes or does it appear that the English rifle in Schumays book by Turvey I think,
has a bit of arc in the forestock bottom line when viewed from the side? it looks to have a bit more wood close to the muzzle than at the waist to me.
It could have. It may or may not have been intentional. Those folks were building by "instinct" for a living. Small things like that probably just slipped by from time to time.

Back