• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Forged my first hawk today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very good start I like it. Wick, you said something I have been mulling over. I can not remember seeing a period forged hawk or knife with hammer marks. It seems to be some kind of badge of honor now. I get my head forged then do all the grinding and polishing to shape, no hammer marks.

the man that forges my heads wraps the iron around a mandrel instead of drifting the eye. Then he forge welds a piece of high carbon in for three layers. It works very well. The mandrel makes for near identical handle holes

You show too much talent to waste your time with a railroad spike. I could never do that good a job. Keep going.
On the forge welded edge? I know axes were made that way, was the same technique used for a hawk? Never thought about it before.
What about an old shingling hatchet or similar tools? It seems they might be re-worked as well.
I make knives using the stock removal method which is okay but I admire anyone that can do good forging work.

I have a few more spikes I'm going to pratice on then on to better steel. I may try forge welding in some higer carbon steel on some of them.

The eye of the hawk, I'd research that as well. I think the eye might be round, oval, or sort of triangular. I don't really know that much about it but something to check out if you are going to do your own forging.

Latest posts

Back