• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Forging a lock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaun2042

Pilgrim
Reaction score
How's everyone doing. I'm an amateur blacksmith, and black powder enthusiast. I was interested in forging my own locks (matchlock, and flintlock). Does anyone have any advice or know of a quality book or video to guide me? Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Shaun

Best book that I am aware of on the topic was published in the Journal of Historical Armsmaking and is now, I believe, out of print. It is, however, a very good source of information on the subject. There were also some books written by Lauber on the subject which had some good drawings, but not much in the way of actual description of the process.

The long article on making of flintlocks by 18th-century processes (covers a lot more than just forging) is, as Mr Johnson said, in Volume I of the Jounal of Historical Armsmaking Technology. This is an NMLRA publication from 1985. Out of print but there were five reprints of that volume so it is usually available online or on EBay.

Gary

Herschal doesnt cover that in his videos. A book by Pryor Mt. Bill Newton covers some in one of his books. I think there is a few details in one of Wm. Buchelles books also.

Colonial Williamsburg still sells (I presume) "The Gunsmith of Williamsburg" on video. Wallace Gusler back in about 1969. I believe it pretty much shows you everything. Must see TV.

As Bubba45 said, Bill Newton has or had a book available. Title is "Hand Forging the Muzzle Loading Gun Lock" The reference I have gives a contact email address: [email protected]. I don't have the book but according to thedescription it explains the procedures and contains 14 full size plans.

Hope this helps.

Don R

Thanks everyone for your responses. It's been very helpful. I've found most of the works recommended. Does anyone know what topics are covered in each vol. of the Journal of Historical Armsmaking? The fourth volume is still in print, so I was able to buy it for $5. All the other volumes I found were $45-$85, but I was only able to find a review that said I-III were must haves, so I was curious what was actually covered in them. Thanks again.

I have all of them, but I can't remember off hand what was covered in three. I think it was partially an article on charcoal blueing, but I could be mistaken. I liked the first one so much I bought a second copy of it when it was still in print so that I would have a spare. The binding was always the weak point I found.

Volume 1 Aug. 1985 -- lockmaking by Gary Brumfield 84 pages

Vol.2 June 1987 -- VA rifles by Wallace Gusler; Golden Mean by Barry Bohnet; A patch Box Release by Dave Wagner; A Barrel Crowning Tool by Dave Wagner; & Making and Using a Scratch Stock by Russ Swanson.

Vol. 3 June 1988 -- 150 pages of translation from German of a 1771 essay on gunmaking in Germany by Sprengel; 12 pages by George Shumway of guns made in Brandenburg area of Germany

Vol. 4 Jan. 1991 -- 60 more pages of Sprengel translation; A Study of Lock Timing by Larry Pletcher (abt 40 pages); 5 pages on mainspring vices by Shumway

Vol 5 June 1993 -- 50 pages of detailed study of an original John sheets rifle by W Gusler and Dave Harvey; 12 pages on Charcoal Bluing; 24 pages on forging flint cocks (builds on Vol 1.); 5 pages.A Ramrod and Walking Stick Tool by Lynton McKenzie

Volumes 1, 2 and 5 were the most popular at the time of their printing. Volume 5 can be hard to find because there was only one printing.

Gary

Back