• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fouling Shot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlyFAmerica

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, I've got 2 T/C Hawken .54 caplock guns and am working up loads- a recommended load from one of the forum members was 80-90 gns 2F with my 380 REAL bullets lubed with bore butter. They do group well with 90 gns- about 1 1/2 inches at 50 yds. Great- but the problem I face with both guns is that the initial shot out of a clean barrel is about 6-8 inches high at 50 yds. What do you do about this in a hunting situation? Is this normal?
Thanks,
Mike

I swab between every shot with rubbing alcohal followed by dry patches. I don't use fouling shots. Cleaning between shots then gives me the same POI. The gun is then set up for first shot out of the gun to be on target. It works really well for me.

I don't know about conicals, but what I do after I've loaded with a PRB, I then run a patch down the bore a couple of times that is saturated with the same lube I'm using with my patch. Give it a try, can't hurt nuttin and It'll at least protect yer bore against the elements... :thumbsup:

sniper68 said:
I don't know about conicals, but what I do after I've loaded with a PRB, I then run a patch down the bore a couple of times that is saturated with the same lube I'm using with my patch. Give it a try, can't hurt nuttin and It'll at least protect yer bore against the elements... :thumbsup:

This works for me, but.......be sure to check that your bullet is still seated. In warm weather, I have had the bullets 'suck' back up the barrel, when lubing.

Fly When you sight it in ,shot it clean every shot ,clean before you shot it every time. Mine are set to shoot clean,I don't even dry fire a cap off before I load, that way the gun is clean if I don't get a shot that day. I just run a oil patch down when I get back.I use hot water to clean. Worked for 24 yrs. Dilly

Thanks for the responses, guys. I'm taking the concensus is that most everyone expects to have a different point of impact from a clean barrel than from subsequent shots. Is it as radical as my experience- say 6 inches at 50 yds.? I can live with that for hunting and sight it in for a clean barrel but when I'm shooting targets all day it means holding 6 inches high on the bull- unless I clean between shots. thanks,
Mike

FlyFAmerica said:
I'm taking the concensus is that most everyone expects to have a different point of impact from a clean barrel than from subsequent shots. Is it as radical as my experience- say 6 inches at 50 yds.?

You are taking it correctly. Typically the POI is significantly different from a "clean barrel" VS a "fouled barrel". Those definitions can vary widely, but even if your muzzleloading experience is shorter than most, you're familiar with the difference between the two...

Yes, the difference in POI can be substantial. Depending on a LOT of factors, some of that variance can be reduced, but generally it can't be eliminated or negated completely (at least noticeably anyway.)

Most muzzleloader barrels can be "seasoned" to reduce the effects of fouling, but also a good consistent loading/cleaning routine can help to alleviate the grief.

Cleaner burning propellants can make a considerable difference also--but if we limit ourselves to commonly available brands of black powder--we still have to deal with the fouling. In times long past, there was a multitude of black powder brands whose burn characteristics could vary greatly. O, to have the luxury of multiple choice!!!

Just try to get your routine "perfected"; and also remember the current condition of your barrel. Some shooters will just "aim off" accordingly to compensate for the POI difference of that "clean barrel" shot. (that is what I tend to do)

Regards, and shoot safely,
WV_Hillbilly

Back