• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fox.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fox in Iowa are few and far between. Never killed one myself and dont think I would hear. Fully understand it is a different situation in the UK. We have lots of coyotes and those are fair game any time you see one.

I am heading to CN ice fishing in a week or so, think I might see if I can get a wolf perhaps.

Fleener

Fox in Iowa are few and far between. Never killed one myself and dont think I would hear. Fully understand it is a different situation in the UK. We have lots of coyotes and those are fair game any time you see one.

I am heading to CN ice fishing in a week or so, think I might see if I can get a wolf perhaps.

Fleener
On a fishing line? Wow, that's amazing.
Please video it for us if you can.

;)

The hardest part of ice fishing is cutting a hole big enough to put the boat in and to be able to cast.

Fleener

I've run across loads of red and gray fox in my native Georgia and in Virginia. I never shot one as I was much too busy enjoying their amusing antics. Georgia is crawling with coyotes but I only ended up shooting one, for some reason or other. One couldn't hunt deer without seeing a coyote. But even so we had plenty of turkeys and the deer limit is 12. I never did see a fox as large as the one you plugged, Nate.

I don't know why but I have read that where you are at and in the south there is more deer now than in the early 1900's. Tell me why??

Here I think it is because we have great deer habitat because of all the land that was farmed for many years is reverting to forest. Whitetails like young forest habitat the best.

In Florida the limit on deer is 2/day. However, that is unrealistic. If they made the limit 5/day on Moose here, it might be just as likely for you to limit out. :rolleyes:

They are going to change it next year so the limit will be 5 deer/year with tags. No tags are necessary now. Our game dept. makes rule changes and then has public forums to ask for comments. Regardless of the comments the "proposed" changes are always adopted 100%. :mad:

In Florida the limit on deer is 2/day. However, that is unrealistic. If they made the limit 5/day on Moose here, it might be just as likely for you to limit out. :rolleyes:

They are going to change it next year so the limit will be 5 deer/year with tags. No tags are necessary now. Our game dept. makes rule changes and then has public forums to ask for comments. Regardless of the comments the "proposed" changes are always adopted 100%. :mad:

Of course, they are from the government and know whats best for you.

Brit ought to really like this one. In Florida foxes are completely protected ... no killing, no way, no how! However there is no closed season on rabbits. Hmmm ... just trying to remember when was the last time I even saw a rabbit here. :confused:

Here in the UK foxes are not protected provided you do not hunt them with dogs . Hunting did keep the numbers at a reasonable number but since then there has been a increase which are causing a lot of damage at lambing time and game laying time , Along with the mink and the grey squirrel our native wildlife is taking its toll at nesting time it is the big shooting estates that are keeper control are keeping them to a minimum but it is a constant job .
Feltwad

Hunting with a pack of hounds was banned in England and Wales but not in N. Ireland. Not sure about Scotland.
I think two hounds can push or drive a fox to a gun/s or even a large bird of prey!
By rights Jess can run a rabbit but not hare or even squirrel under the same legislation!
It was a farce of a law and the then prime minister told the police to not enforce it!!
It still goes on where they can unnoticed!
Jess doesn't bother running hare's but she did catch one in standing wheat a couple of years ago!
I had to instruct her on the subtle differences.
View attachment 3639
Now you may laugh but ever since that day she has not bothered a hare!
This is the hare she caught.
View attachment 3640

No restrictions for the shooting of fox's other than if it could be shown that cruelty or suffering has occured through poor choices then a prosecution can be made so airguns are generally regarded as no no etc.
Most of our Federal legislators here wouldn’t understand that chart,
Nice gun, nice doggie, nice fox!

Fleener

I saw a pair of foxes about a week ago. They are around. The coyotes make them keep a low profile.

Good luck with the hardwater fishing.

The heaviest concentration of deer in Georgia is in the large piedmont part of the state. Very mild weather, lots of food and habitat are probably behind the numbers. It's common to see lots of deer in the woods and fields and the chance of getting one is very high. The chance of getting multiple deer is about the same as getting just one. I've often killed as many as three before noon. I miss it terribly.

The heaviest concentration of deer in Georgia is in the large piedmont part of the state. Very mild weather, lots of food and habitat are probably behind the numbers. It's common to see lots of deer in the woods and fields and the chance of getting one is very high. The chance of getting multiple deer is about the same as getting just one. I've often killed as many as three before noon. I miss it terribly.
Georgia insurance companies wanted the limits raised. Over 300 A DAY car versus deer accidents is a lot of money out of their pockets. Theory of increased limits, reduced accidents ='s more money in their pockets. Per state DNR, deer herd has not increased significantly in 25 years. But many more people moved into the state is more cars and accidents.

Jdw276, deer collisions are too common in Georgia. I witnessed a spectacular collision when a car passed me without considering that other deer would likely step out onto the highway following the first one. My wife did $4000 damage to my truck with her up close & personal experience with a large buck. The buck got up and ran away but my truck had to be towed.

Latest posts

Back