• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

French Muskets (fusils) - St.Etienne

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum so, hi to all. I'm currently doing a research on 17th and 18th century St.Etienne made (French) flintlocks that were used during the F & I was as well as the Rev War. I'm currently gathering marks and names found on various locks and barrels from private collectors and museums for the study. Little is known of St.Etienne guns as compared to the Tulle guns that has been covered by Russel Bouchard in his book. If anyone can help it would be appreciated. Not sure if this would be the right forum to post this message.

Thanks to all,

Le coureur des bois[url] www.lanouvelle-france.com[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as I know, and that is very little. St Etienne was mostly known for the so called Charleville musket.
I owned a factory reproduction, which was a 1787?? version with the reversed dished cheekpiec.
Hope this helps :v

I believe that was the 1777 version. St. Etienne was one of 3 armourys the French used if I'm not mistaken.

Outstanding idea. I commend you for setting an example worthy of emulation for the many would-be amateur historians on this forum. Most of them, while well meaning, have had no guidance and they don't know how to do proper research themselves or evaluate the research of others. Those of us who do usually keep our own counsel, but you present a "teachable moment" here for those willing to take the lesson.

Unfortunatley, I don't own any originals (sad indeed !) or know of anyone who does. I recommend contacting the many small museums attached to F&IW era historic properties in NY state however (e.g.; Ft. Ticonderoga museum, Oswego, etc. - most have web sites with contact info). I remember some of them having Fusils in their collections, but of course I can't recall the details. You might also try the Smithsonian's National Museum of American History (www.si.edu). They have a surprisingly large collection of early muskets and the curatorial staff can be very helpful to researchers. Bonne chance !

PS - Good website link!

As you're probably aware, there may be few early guns in Canada from St. Etienne. Many traders specifically ordered from Tulle since their clients were somewhat adverse to accepting guns from other makers. The Compagnies franches de la Marine also coontracted muskets from Tulle through most of their history in Canada and Louisiana. The one exception was the Regiment Karre whose orders were from St. Etienne from their beginnings in 1719. The original companies sent to Louisbourg from 1722 were issued the current musket issued to the infantry which would have been the ONLY M.1717 muskets in North America. The second and third companies went to Martinique and Saint-Dominque respectively. The fourth company went to Louisiana in 1732 and were carrying the current infantry musket, the M.1728. Both musket types were ordered out from St. Entiene and most probably, and I do mean PROBABLY, carried the crown over "SE" markings St. Entienne marked all their muskets with. It's also mentioned that Tulle may have also manufactured the later musket types later in the 1700's due to war time shortages. Hope this babbling helps.

I also have been interested in St. Etienne weapons, but have found little info on them. I have a musket assembled in the US from early French parts which has a 1728 Model lock marked with a crown over S E. I also have a 1766 Model that has been restocked in maple. It's lock is marked with a crown over HB(?) and under the pan is visible "etienne". The 3rd musket I have is a 1716 Marine Model which is crudely restocked and is marked with a crown over S.E and below that is visible "??enne". The barrel on this gun is marked on the left upper flat with "B(crown)C". I have other early French muskets, but none with markings I can identify as St. Etienne. Hope this helps. Steve

Sorry to side track :

...The one exception was the Regiment Karre whose orders were from St. Etienne from their beginnings in 1719. The original companies sent to Louisbourg from 1722 were issued the current musket issued to the infantry which would have been the ONLY M.1717 muskets in North America.....

I know René Chartrand wrote that as an
hypothesis , ( Historical Arms Series no. 18 )
He also mentionned that the Karrer had been raised in 1719 but transferred to the marine
in 1721 . Is there any new proof that the Karrer
kept their 1717 in the transfer ?

Back