• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

frizzen/spark question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jan buck

40 Cal.
Reaction score
having just aquired a tc hawken flinter i have a few questions. using wano fff as a sole powder and Rich p. flints i get one or MAYBE two shots off then 'click'most frustrating. could the frizzen be shot? it is rough. i tried a piece of lead around the flint but went to leather. not any difference imo. thanks.

Is that an OLD T/C lock, or the new one? The New one is properly designed. If that is the old one, send it back to T/C, and they will replace it with a new lock. Problem solved.

Yes, a rough frizzen will play hobbs with your flint, and sparks. The frizzen should be smooth!

I will admit enjoying the occasional "thank you " I receive here. But, I don't worry about my hat size. :grin: :hmm:

I am my own worst critic, and unless someone else tells me I am doing something well, I usually don't notice. Looking back on my life, I was once a very fine Trombone player, but I grew to hate the instrument and stopped playing it formally when I graduated from High School. I didn't even attempt to get a music Scholarship for college because I had no interest in studying music further!

i think Paul is probably right... if going to a lead rather than leather didn't get it sparking the way it should, you have a problem with the frizzen. I had a similar trouble with my Renegade when i first bought it many years ago... give T/C a call and see what they can do for you- it may be possible for them to simply send you a new frizzen which will give you the quickest fix. Then, i'd stay with the lead flint wrap: be sure to set it, dry fire it three or four times, and then tighten the cock screw again. (your lock probably has a small hole drilled throught the cock screw at the factory- mine is just big enough to get a drift punch through, which makes it easy to snug things down, but don't get overenthusiastic.)

best of luck- you're gonna love your rockbanger when you get it going!

If you can get some range time with an old experienced flintlock shooter, you'd solve the problem in a hurry. Might be something we'd never guess because we can't see what's happening.

You have received some good advise so far; but it could be flint/frizzen spacing, bevel up vs bevel down, too strong frizzen spring, lack of lube on pivot and lobe, etc. All those things can and do make a difference.

guys, i appreciate all your answers. i have tried the flint bevel up/down ect. i will contact tc for the best thing to do. is it hard to change the frizzen? haven't really looked at the lock a whole lot. the longest flint in the pack worked best but only couple shots, and i don't believe the flints are the culprit.gonna take it apart and scope it out.

chopper,

I have a TC Renegade 50 cal flinter and I am having the same problems.

thanks. I will be calling TC asap.
My Frissen has plenty of sanding marks on it.

Excellent question, Excellent responses. thanks all. :thumbsup:

what flints are you using? im using flints made by rich pierce and ive had nothing but flawless performance. Tom fuller and the agate flints always stopped working for me after only a handful of shots.

Flints going dead so quickly suggests a too soft frizzen.

Contact TC or find someone to harden your frizzen.

If you have not tried them, get in contact with Rich his flits work better in my flintlock than english flints in every way, more sparks, and they last a LOT longer. a lot cheaper too. :v

Isn't Flit the bugkiller in the old fashioned sprayer--as in "Quick, Henry, the Flit!"? Or am I just showing my age? :rotf:

You know, a FLIT,You have to ask for them, they are cheaper than FLINTS but they work just as good. :grin:
(wick said)but apparently can't spill good!
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
:v

Latest posts

Back