• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Frizzen stall or not

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brokennock

Cannon
Reaction score
I made a frizzen stall for my new flintlock smoothie. I usually hunt with my Fusil with the pan primed, cock at half cock and stall covering frizzen. But, on this lock the edge of the flint at half cock is so close to the frizzen face that if I keep the stall on the frizzen the flint pushes on it preventing the pan from being closed all the way. So, last couple outings I've kept her at half cock with no cover on the frizzen. Question is, how would you hunt with it? Half cock no stall, or full cock with a frizzen stall in place? FWIW, if the set trigger is not set, the trigger is almost unsqueezable. I'm leaning toward half cock no stall when moving and full cock with stall when sitting. What say you?

I would be inclined to make a hammer stall from thinner leather. Sure it may only survive one accidental drop of the cock. But they are easy and quick enough to make. To me safety is well worth it.BJH

I would not carry it at full cock, stall or not. I personally would not use a stall unless I was for some reason around a large group of people with my gun loaded and a lot going on. If your gun is always pointed in a safe direction, and it were to accidentally fire, no serious harm would be done. Might scare the manure out of anyone close by, though. I could maybe see using a stall on a loaded gun in camp in case someone were to knock it over. If your gun is mechanically sound, there is virtually no chance of it slipping off of the half cock notch anyway.But if you feel safer using a stall with the gun at half cock, then go for it. No harm done.

smoothshooter said:
I would not carry it at full cock, stall or not. I personally would not use a stall unless I was for some reason around a large group of people with my gun loaded and a lot going on. If your gun is always pointed in a safe direction, and it were to accidentally fire, no serious harm would be done. Might scare the manure out of anyone close by, though. I could maybe see using a stall on a loaded gun in camp in case someone were to knock it over. If your gun is mechanically sound, there is virtually no chance of it slipping off of the half cock notch anyway.But if you feel safer using a stall with the gun at half cock, then go for it. No harm done.

Saved me a lot of typing. :thumbsup:

smoothshooter said:

+1

Thanks guys. I mostly keep the stall on at half cock while hunting to protect the frizzen from the elements, and as an added safety measure. I really don't like the idea of keeping it at full cock, stall or not, either.

Sean, good idea. I use brain tan buckskin on the backside for fit, and stiffer slightly thicker cow's hide leather on the face for protection from the sharp flint. Rawhide would be a good tough but thin alternative.

I use a Hammer Stall all the time...half cock moving, full cock if I'm sitting on a deer stand.

If clearance at half cock is an issue, another approach would be to just get a small piece of thin brass at a craft shop and cut/fold/shape it into a Hammer Stall.

Oh, I agree with the grouse reference...I don't have the stall on when "in the moment" of fast hunting action either...standing in the corner of a Dove field with birds on the move, etc.

when hunting I always have one on it. my gun is at 1/2 cock ready to pounce on the game.

I never use one in the field. Seems like overkill, to me.

I also hold my pants up with only a belt, not suspenders, too. :haha:

Spence

Never used a "frizzen stall"....didn't even know such a thing existed. Irrespective of the "gun" used, it's safe usage is dependent on the "awareness" of the shooter. First off....is their any historical evidence that a "frizzen stall" was ever used?

This "thing" seems to be a modern "improvement" that just complicates a simple function......Fred

flehto said:
First off....is their any historical evidence that a "frizzen stall" was ever used?
They were known and used by the military. I have a couple of references for those, never ran across one in a civilian context.

Cuthbertson, Bennett, Esq. A System for the Complete Interior Management and Oeconomy of a Battalion of Infantry, The Second Edition. London: J. Millan, 1779
"On Service, leather Hammer-stalls are undoubtedly an advantage to a Battalion, when loaded, and resting on their Arms, as accidents may be prevented, by having them then fixed upon the hammers of the Firelocks; but at other times then can certainly be of little use."

"It is left to their [officers] discretion in time of real Action to disencumber such men as they may think proper entirely of them [arms], taking care that they be lodged in their Ammunition Carriages and to prevent any possible Accident happening therefrom, thumb stalls have been ordered to be provided which the men are constantly to keep on the hammer of their pieces except when posted centrys." Source: Great Britain, Royal Artillery Regiment Library, Woolwich, Brigade Orderly Book, James Pattison Papers 1777-81.

Spence

George said:
I have a couple of references for those

Spence, you always amaze me with the reference materials you seemingly just pull out with ease.

I have to ask...how do you do that? :idunno: Do you just have a memory chocked full of these reference materials...some kind of computer index you search on? If you don't want to divulge your secret, that's OK! I'll just continue to enjoy the references/quotes. :bow: Thanks!

Back