• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

From my dad: Smoothbore 'trade musket'

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Information with it (a rarity with my dad's things) date it to 1844. It's VERY lightweight and would be a joy to carry 'woods walking'. It almost feels 'alive' in my hands.
1000005644.jpg
1000005642.jpg
1000005643.jpg
1000005646.jpg

Attachments

• 1000005640.jpg
    1000005640.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 1000005641.jpg
    1000005641.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I like it. Has the grip been repaired or is it ornamental. Any idea what bore it is?
Thanks for sharing this.
Re: the grip. I have no idea, but I believe the barrel has been shortened as there is no front sight, and the edges appear to be 'too squared'. Perhaps it suffered damage of the muzzle at some point? The bore appears to be .50.

Last edited:
I really like that weathered patina look it gives the rifle an old friend appearance to them.

Are those riflings I see? Are they straight or spiral cut? Very cool piece!!!

Looks like British and Belgian proof stampings on the breech.
I will take a closer look. If it's rifled, why are there no sights or provisions for sights? Anyone care to place a tentative value on it? A friend of mine is interested in it.

I will take a closer look. If it's rifled, why are there no sights or provisions for sights? Anyone care to place a tentative value on it? A friend of mine is interested in it.
My guess is that it is straight rifled. You would sight it just like a shotgun

This way you could:

1. load a tightly patched ball (more velocity) for big game.

2. still effectively shoot shot. (No spiral to distort the pattern)

Try to find something that looks like that on the different antique guns sites

You have gunbroker.com, IMA
Or you can just type antique muzzleloaders for sale

Look at the quality of the guns compare them to the quality of your gun and that should give you the most honest value

Years ago, I had a paper cartridge 1851 sharps and 54 caliber

A buddy of mine really liked it. He traded me an old bold action 30 Ott six

And gave me 200 bucks on top of it

The 30 ott 6 was really a piece of manure and I admit I was a little bit into the cups

A couple weeks later I went on GunBroker and some other sites that sell antique guns or black powder guns that are repro and I saw a sharps just like mine. Gane sold for $1200. I basically gave away that gun for a crappy bold action rifle that although was made in World War II, I doubt ever went to World War II. It just saw no service in the back of a leaky closet.

Do your research and it’s OK to give a friend a little bit of help but nothings cheaper anymore I don’t care who gets elected in November make as much money as you can enjoy life as much as you can!!

Charles balding

Rutherford’s Rangers

Senior private

Attachments

• IMG_1471.jpeg
    IMG_1471.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
I went to a gun show and there was a 1863 Sharps rifle with bayonet, I thought it was a replica, no it was original and sold for &1800.00, Right next to it was another, maybe 50% bluing, beat up stock, buyers had woke up after the first one and this sold for $4500.00

Back