• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Front Sight Blade

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm confused- I think there were second generations on various models. 1851? 1860?

I think the front site post on the 1851 is pressed in. The others might be silver soldered.

Do you mean:

The "F" Series

COLT´S MANUFACTURING COMPANY, INC. : "F" SERIES Production of these revolvers began in November 1978 with the 1860 Army and continued with the release of the various models described below until all production ceased in November 1982. Special Edition and Limited Edition models continued to be issued from the Colt Custom Shop inventory through the mid-1990s. Rumors persist, even at this late date, that a few in-the-white specimens are still hidden away at Colt´s. "F" Series revolvers were produced with a durable dark "Colt Blue" finish while the "C" Series finish is a more lustrous "Royal Blue."

I'm not that knowledgeable on this but I believe the sight is sort of round and fits into a scalloped cut in the top of the barrel. See if you can PM Mykeal (belongs to this group)- he may know.

crockett said:
Do you mean:

The "F" Series

COLT´S MANUFACTURING COMPANY, INC. : "F" SERIES Production of these revolvers began in November 1978 with the 1860 Army and continued with the release of the various models described below until all production ceased in November 1982. Special Edition and Limited Edition models continued to be issued from the Colt Custom Shop inventory through the mid-1990s. Rumors persist, even at this late date, that a few in-the-white specimens are still hidden away at Colt´s. "F" Series revolvers were produced with a durable dark "Colt Blue" finish while the "C" Series finish is a more lustrous "Royal Blue."

I'm not that knowledgeable on this but I believe the sight is sort of round and fits into a scalloped cut in the top of the barrel. See if you can PM Mykeal (belongs to this group)- he may know.

Looked at three "F" Series Colt Dragoons, two 3rd Models (Serial #'s 305xx & 312xx) and one 2nd Model (Serial # 257xx).

Each had the same "low blade" front sight and on the two 3rd Models the "scalloped cut in the top of the barrel" was just barely seen next to the side edges of the low blade sight. Could not see any evidence of solder, but it may well be there.

Am curious why original poster, Pogo57, needs to know how the front sight is attached?

They all have that low sight to bring the sight line up. These old horse pistols are usually dead on at 75+ yards. Mine is silver soldered in place.

Maybe the original poster wants to replace the sight with a taller one and bring the zero in closer. An old silver dime section makes a good replacement. Or you can just learn where the ball is at usual ranges and let it go at that.

I think an anit-flux compound was carefully applied to the outside area of the scallop cut. The sight was put into the scallop and soldered in place and if done correctly, the thin line of solder can't really be seen. I'm not sure but I believe most of the blade type sights on Colt pistols were installed this way.

Yes, I was contemplating having a taller sight put in for the exact reason mentioned.

However, I probably won't because the pistol is in excellent almost unused condition.

Sure shoots high though.

Back