• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Front Sight Recommendation

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Polished silver or brass front sight in a wider width than most for hunting. Target shooting with white background - candle soot the sight (which can be wiped off with a finger tip). 6 o'clock hold at 50 yds.

The more precise the sight, the better I shoot.

Best sight for me when shooting round, black bullseye targets is an open circle front sight that encircles the bullseye and a peep rear sight.

Sights are an individual thing. There's no "best for everyone in any circumstance". Have fun and don't sweat the small stuff.

Best sight for me when shooting round, black bullseye targets is an open circle front sight that encircles the bullseye and a peep rear sight.
Yes, classic for NRA 3-position, etc. In the NMLRA that puts you out of three of the classes and into the Any Metallic Sight category.

Recently got a T/C Hawken kit. The barrel was nicely dovetailed for the sight, which is a large post-type. That sight is very black.
Now, I am 76, and really like a light-colored front sight, and I happen to have some .999 silver wire in several sizes.
So, I took a wee piece of silver wire, drilled a hole at the top of the portion facing me, dunked the wire in some low-temp paste silver solder, and soldered the wire in.
I left the wire forming a small ball, polished it up, and it makes a cracker jack front sight.
BTW, US silver coins are indeed 90% silver. As are Brit coins. Some time ago, I took a Brit 6-pence (about the size of a dime) and flattened it a bit and cut it in half- but you could still see old King George's head. It was George VI, not George III, but still appropriate for a post-WAI Lancaster-type rifle.

I thought of doing something like that, but it seemed like a lot of work and I wasn't sure the result would be what I needed. But it's good to hear it worked for you. I've just glued a bit of fiber optic to the top of my front blade. Now in the final stages of getting the height just right. Of course, it's not historically appropriate. However, I did make the Db trigger on my bass trombone by using a 10 centime French coin for the paddle. :rolleyes:

Back