• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Frontal Shot?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hunt thick cover so my shots are close and I will take a front shot every time. I have probably killed 20 deer with that shot over the yrs and most all have dropped like a rock and the few that have run did'nt make it but a few yrds. But I stress to you my shots are CLOSE as in 20 25 and 30 yrds.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think a lot depends on the distance. I stood up in my tree stand to stretch, which turned out to be a good move. I was in very heavy cover and the only tree suitable for my stand, happened to be dead in the line with the deer trail. I had no more than stood up, when three does, came into view, maybe 30 yards away. The lead doe froze, when I moved the rifle into position. I knew it was now or never. I really don't like the head on shot. In fact my moto is "head on... live long".
But, the doe, now at 20yds, and standing still, I could not resist. She piled up, right there. Shot placement was very similar to NCHAWKEYE"s shot. I think experienced hunters, know when to pull the trigger. So, if the deer is close, and you feel confident, then yes it will work.

WillametteT said:
traditional bow hunter by trade

I came to muzzleloading after 30 years of the same traditional bowhunter background. I have actually taken several deer from the ground at extremely close range with bow and a frontal shot (though perhaps not perfectly straight on). The conditions had to be perfect...15 yards or less, never angling down, deer not tense. Each deer died very quickly.

I have carried that same philosophy into muzzleloading only close is now 30 yards or so out. I have only hit one with a frontal muzzleloading and it dropped on the spot.

I'm not a big fan of the frontal shot, but if the conditions fit my model for feeling comfortable I can absolutely make the shot, I'll take it. Any discomfort with the situation and I pass.

Have to agree with Spence and others. Though the shot will probably do the job, where the ball goes after the heart needs to be carefully thought out.

My thanks also to Roundball for posting the deer anatomy chart. I'm always surprised how few hunters seem to realize how low a standing animals heart is in relation to it's body depth.

Wes/Tex said:
My thanks also to Roundball for posting the deer anatomy chart. I'm always surprised how few hunters seem to realize how low a standing animals heart is in relation to it's body depth.
Right...for all practical purposes, a deer's heart is resting down at/on the sternum...same way a human's would be if down on all fours. And if various anatomy charts showing different angles are studied closely, the bottom of the lungs are also shown down alongside the heart.
A frontal shot is very dependably lethal with a large area of vitals...just need to keep it low.

Although, the kill zone is relatively small, that is a very lethal shot. I actually took that shot on an old mature buck this year at about 50 yds...he dropped in his tracks.

I think what you want to know is if a prb can plow through a shoulder and kill a deer? As stated, at under 50 yards the evidence is that plenty of deer are killed that way. The round ball velocity drops pretty fast so keep that shot inside 50 yards.
It is similar to native people killing moose with a 30-30. It depends on the shot- through the ribs- dead moose. Through the shoulder? You would have to be very close- 30 yards. Even then "iffy".

12 ga. flint trade musket click, boom, dead as a door nail. meat in freezer. hog that is. 50 yards or less. old eyes.

Thanks Roundball! I have learned a lot and appreciate your link and experiences. I'll be practicing to keep my shots tight and out to about 50yds. Where I hunt, I probably will not shoot much further than that anyway.

crockett said:
I think what you want to know is if a prb can plow through a shoulder and kill a deer?

I would not think that a low frontal shot is going to hit shoulder. If it hits a shoulder on entry, it's too far off to one side or the other.

I cringe in many of today's modern bowhunting shows when guys shoot for BEHIND or even on the shoulder on deer quartering, sometimes steeply, into them. Seems like they are always tracking the next day. :hmm: A frontal shot should go into the relatively soft spot between the shoulder and throat. How much toward the throat dependent on the angle.

I agree the supposed "pros" make some of the worst shots! What's more is this is teaching youngins and new comers improper shot placement...kills me...

Have done it. Last one the buck never moved his rear feet. Front hooves came up and he dropped in a heap. Took the top off his aorta. That was from a .50 cal and remains the only round ball I have recovered from a deer. Usually I get complete penetration; that ball was just under the skin behind his femur bone. Missed full length penetration by 1/8".

Out to 50 yards with a PRB rifle of suitable bore from ground level I would take a standing frontal.

The last one I shot head on was with a .50 CVA. 90 grains of 3f and a Maxi. It would only hold a 5 inch group at 100 yards because of the 1-66 twist. The range was 96 yards measured and slightly up hill. The reason I took the shot was because it was a hornless buck I had been after for two years. Its off spring had no horns and (I think) were sterile. Anyway I hit it low dead in the middle of its chest and went through its heart and full length and out the right rear quarter almost center line. It only went about 50 yds. Prob not a ethical shot face on at almost a 100 yds. But sometimes you just have to do what needs to be done. Larry

"It would only hold a 5 inch group at 100 yards because of the 1-66 twist."

I'm confused by this statement as I was under the impression that a 1:66 twist was more accurate than say a 1:48 twist with a PRB. :confused:

+1 Dropped a red stag with a front on shot at around 40yards, he dropped like he was hit by a lightening bolt, in one end and out the other , .54 cal. prb and 90grns of ffg . :thumbsup:

My apologies! For some reason it didn't register in my brain. I had round ball in mind and spoke too soon. Thank you for the correction. :thumbsup:

Back