• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Frontal Shot?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I shot my new rifle today and once sighted in, I don't think I will have a doubt as to what it can do! I was punching through a pretty thick piece of hardwood at approx. 45yds and that ball was still going. :grin:

Ive taken that shot with good results. The doe only ran about 10 yrds and piled up. The only downfall was a lack of a blood trail, which wasn't really an issue...this time. It's a small target and as others have said, ya need to practice for it.

I will practice well but, think I would only take this shot if it was a crunch time situation. :grin: Otherwise, I'll wait for a good broadside or quartering away shot.

I would wait for it to present a better angle. The 2 deer I have taken frontal shots on were recovered but not without a lot of time and work. If I were to take such a shot again I would aim much lower than the center of the chest that I took the first two times. I really don't like that presentation at all.

S.kenton said:
The only downfall was a lack of a blood trail, which wasn't really an issue...this time.

That's an issue that I worry about, if your in the deep woods with leaves and all other types of debris no blood trail can be very problematic. Yea, sure its O.K. "IF" the deer piles up within 10 or 20 yards, but like I said before all it takes is the deer to move slightly and you have a wounded animal on your hands which nobody wants to happen. I'll pass on the shot, I'm not starving, or hunting for 3 kids and a wife that is needing me to bring home food for the next 3 or 4 days. I wonder how many people have made this shot at a deer and since there was not a blood trail didn't bother to look for it because "I've must have missed, because there's no blood trail" meanwhile there's a wounded or dead deer 100 yards away. :2 again.

Back