• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ft. Loudon/Ft. Frederick Market Fairs?????

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doverdog

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Has anyone heard any early information on these events for the upcoming year? They were both on the same weekend last year and I heard a rumor that Ft. Loudon will be held at a different location in '05. It's still about 4 months until the weekend they are usually held.

I heard last week it will be on a farm nearby. All the details, if you can call them details, that I have.

I saw on a web site, and I can't remember where. The Fort Frederick event will be the last weekend in April, as always and the one the GNAR does will be moved to an area north of Carlise Pa. @ 1 hour east of from Fort Loudon. and it will be held the weekend before Fort Frederick. If I can find the site I willl try to post the address.

Howdy,
Before making a decision on where to go, be sure to look into both sites websites. As of last week the Fort Frederick event site showed a lot more Sutlers being signed up than the Newville, PA. site. Maybe the Newville site will pick up some more between now and March, but you might want to wait to make your decision of which to go to until a little closer time of the deadline for pre-registering. There is also a Market Fair going to be held At Jackson's Mill outside of Weston, West "BY GOLLY" Virginia the same weekend. That is where we will be. :thumbsup:
The three sites might be worth attending on a day-trip type rendezvous if a decision cannot be made on which to go to. :what:

Be careful of what Fort Fred says. I asked them last year about their preregistered numbers; they told me they had around 400 vendors and about 300 campers. When I got there I was really dissappointed to find @40 vendors and 100 campers + or -. It was still some of he finest vendors around, but considering what I was used to finding there, it was very dissapointing. :m2c:

Yes I agree Griz it was very poor and when I was talking to a vendor about it some where fairly disgusted. They had a pre 1800 rule or something like that he had to put some of his rifles away because they were not considered period correct.

I have 2 very close friends who are in their mid 70's and they do not get to PC, if you know what I mean. But they do carry a lot of information. They camped at Fort Fred last year and they always fly an American flag from the point of their wall tent. When the big shots at the fort saw the flag, he was going to ask them to leave because it wasn't PC. so he told them they had to take it down, so they did and was starting to pack and leave. One of the other big shots came down and told them that they discussed it and decided that they could fly the flag if they wanted to, so they stayed the weekend. After all the manure was shoveled it turned out to be a very dicouraging weekend for them, mostly because of the lack of attendance.

I uses to love to goto Fort Frederick but the Park Service killed the event by getting greedy and to controlling the Patuxens got tired of it and their crew to Ft. Loudon. Loudon is where all the serious people will attend. The public will still goto Frederick, they don't know any better.

You got it. State stuck there nose in and really messed it up. Check the post I did up a little higher and you will find the site for the new rondy this spring. The one at Loudon is being moved.

After going to Fred a lot, it was becoming painfully obvious towards the "end" that the Patuxents were working their butts off, pushing quite a bit of gate money into the Fort (Not sure if it went to the "Friends" or the State directly, but I doubt that the club saw anything go in their coffers. I don't think they were in it for the money, but EVERY club has expenses like insurance, range fees, etc., and a little extra for the Christmas Party don't hurt, either!)and getting a lot of grief for the trouble. I don't think the "Friends" and State truly appreciated how lucky they were having a dedicated club carry the weight, and took a lot for granted. Looking at it from the perspective of someone who has been there, it was much like a club running an Eastern for what, eight, ten years in a row? We did two in the 90's and it was a lot of work, mentally and physically, for our club..

From what I've heard so far, looks like "Gobblers' Knob" (I just KNOW Fuzz came up with that name!!!!) is going to be a nice site and that GNAR Faire will have a good turnout.

My game plan is that I am going to drive down and go shopping for stuff, while doing the motel thing, then camp primitive at Lancaster County Longrifle's event at Muddy Run. Market Faires are fun, but I'd rather camp without a million nosepickers around, and more importantly, compete at some really GOOD events like those at Lancaster. See ya there.

Exactally, well spoken.
I was only to muddy run one time, for a day visit. it was a small attended event and I was not allowed to go down to the camp sites. I didn't have any PC clothing. my own fault.Maybe I should make time to go again. Do you have the dates for this year? And maybe and address so I can get directions from map quest. thanks

After going to Fred a lot, it was becoming painfully obvious towards the "end" that the Patuxents were working their butts off, pushing quite a bit of gate money into the Fort (Not sure if it went to the "Friends" or the State directly, but I doubt that the club saw anything go in their coffers. I don't think they were in it for the money, but EVERY club has expenses like insurance, range fees, etc., and a little extra for the Christmas Party don't hurt, either!)and getting a lot of grief for the trouble. I don't think the "Friends" and State truly appreciated how lucky they were having a dedicated club carry the weight, and took a lot for granted.

From what I've heard so far, looks like "Gobblers' Knob" (I just KNOW Fuzz came up with that name!!!!) is going to be a nice site and that GNAR Faire will have a good turnout. /quote]

Howdy,
Your words ring true about the Ft. Frederick Market Faire. The Patuxents even paid their registration fees like everyone else. The Patuxents were volunteers and were not paid. The monies collected from Sutlers and Campers, less Market Faire expenses, stayed on site for the Friends of Ft. Fred. to use to cover government cutbacks at the Maryland DNR. The state got the public gate monies and the proceeds from Capt. Wort's store.
You are right again about Fuzz having a good turnout. I have heard the site lays nice and is better than the Ft. Loudon site. :thumbsup:

I stand corrected about my ealier post concerning the numbers of Sutlers. I forgot about the numbers thing that are put forth. :sorry:

The Sutlers are going where the money is and I don't believe they will take another chance on a another new location. I know of a lot of sulter that when to Louden last year are returning to Frederick. This is truely sad. But who knows, maybe "The Knob" will be the place to be, I hope so.
Anyway, I will be attending both events. We should have a place to meet.

SP

Exactally, well spoken.
I was only to muddy run one time, for a day visit. it was a small attended event and I was not allowed to go down to the camp sites. I didn't have any PC clothing. my own fault.Maybe I should make time to go again. Do you have the dates for this year? And maybe and address so I can get directions from map quest. thanks

You might not be thinking about the same event, last year was the first for Lancaster County LR's there, they moved from the old Northern Lancaster Rendezvous to this new site. Over 1000 there last year. The Eastern was there 2 or 3 years back, too. It's just outside of Holtwood, and actually pretty close to Fred.

Just got the flyer in the mail, dates are 4/27 through 5/1. Public Day is the 30th, from 10-4 Email the scribe, Beverly Heister, at

[email protected]

She will get you a flyer with a pretty good map and registration form. Pre-reg ends April 1st.

These folks know how to run a rendezvous and shoot. Really good competition, in all areas including archery and edged weapons, Highland games, a B***H of a woodswalk, nice big place to camp, and good turnout, bigger than some of the "Nationals", plenty of hootin' and hollerin', too!.

As a note, if you like the site, the Eastern is going to be there again this fall as well.

I just sent out an e-mail and will wait for a flyer. thanks for setting me straight, it a hard job to do. :crackup:

Anyway, I will be attending both events. We should have a place to meet.

SP

I will be attending Fort Fred on Friday the 22nd and the new gobbler knob site on Saturday the 23rd. I think it would be neat to meet some of the forum members. maybe when the date gets a little closer something can be arranged and some of us can get together.
Although, after meeting me it may mean bannishment from the forum :shocking: :shocking:

I'll be at the Gobbler knob site the whole time. If everyone needs a meeting point just look for the Wise Custom Knives sign. Come on in, take a pull on the bottle and say hello.

Micky :redthumb:

Back