• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fusil de Chasse , new to me one

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rob glad you got one. But what makes them so special..? Asking because I don't know.
They are a French Style Smoothbore. The one he’s showing is more of a civilian model as opposed to the military model of the FI war period. They are very comfortable to shoulder and fire.
At least that what I like about mine

Rob: Congratulations. I understand these Centermark's are difficult to find second-hand. As mentioned in Post #21 above, they would be an ideal musket for F&I War period impressions. Makes sense.
I don't actually know Centermark's history other than they were made in the 1990's. Maybe others here could fill me in.
I do know they balance well. At least for me. Here is mine I bought several years ago. Had it re-finished with Aquafortis stain.

Again, Congrats to the OP. A hard to come by musket.

Rick

Tulle-2 003 (Medium).jpg
Tulle-2 004 (Medium).jpg

So stoked !! Just got this Centermark Fusil de Chasse from Washington state . Ive wanted one since the early 90s but never could find or afford one till now Funny how I have money to buy cool stuff and don't have to sell my personal guns I love when I'm single ...go figure !! Frikken women !! LOL !! Can't wait to shoot it and I will ASAP and put the pics and info here on his thread . Just some pics for now . Shes in great shape . Two cool guys ive been FB friends with for a few years owned it and took really nice care of her .... Very happy with her :) Oops ... Lost the pics . Pics coming soon ....
Congrats on your "new to you Centermark Fusil de Chasse, I have been fortunate enough to own two of them, I got my first one about 25 years ago, it's in Walnut and in great shape, shot allot but well cared for, my second one came to me about four years ago, it's stocked in dark curly maple, the original owner ordered it special from Centermark in the early '90's, he hadn't shot it in years because of poor health and decided to sell it, it wasn't cheap, but well worth the price, once I got it home and cleaned the years of dust and cigar smoke off of it it was much nicer than I had expected.
I'm sure you're going to like it once you get accustomed to it, I've had a couple of dozen rock scratchers over the years, still own a half a dozen customs and the Centermark Fusil de Chasse is my favorite.
One thing you should know about those Fusils is that the solder that Centermark used back then wasn't the same as makers use today, over time that old stuff deteriorates and the barrel will separate from the blocks that hold the barrel pins in place, I've had both of mine resoldered with the newer type solder and they are fine.
The smith that did mine is Ed Parry (Black Hart Period Arms) from CT., he used some kind of heat sink paste on the barrel to keep from messing up the original finish.
If yours hasn't been done you might want to consider having a period gun smith take a look at it to check out the solder, or if it's not lose, keep a eye out for it, it's not a big deal to fix and it can't hurt the gun, but if one of more of the solders break it'll need to be taken apart and resoldered.

Hey Rob, nice one! I also have one but as time has gone buy, I can't remember who I bought it from so I'm hoping somebody might shed some light on the story. The above post is saying from the early 90's but I'm thinking I bought this one 86-89. What I remember there was a story in Muzzle Blast about a company that started producing them State side. So, I mail ordered one then the company lost their gunsmiths so there was a wait for the gun. Then I believe they hired some gunsmiths out of shop just to fill the back log of Fusil orders. So, does anybody remember this story? And what company was it?
I think the gun was $650 new standard maple stock, Turtle front sight and this gun is very accurate.

Attachments

• IMG_1185.JPG
    IMG_1185.JPG
    2.4 MB
  • IMG_1186.JPG
    IMG_1186.JPG
    1.6 MB
  • IMG_1187.JPG
    IMG_1187.JPG
    2.9 MB
Interesting architecture on the last one pictured. I am certainly not an expert but I don't remember seeing the wrist contour continued so far into the butt stock.

FWIW, a good Fusil de Chasse – should be walnut - not cherry and DEFINITELY NEVER maple … unless it was broken and then restocked here.

And scrap the turtle site … never was on one. They would be shaped like a barleycorn, made of brass, without ONE straight feature on it anywhere, about 4” back from the muzzle.

IMG_1363.jpeg

LOL, I have a Centermark Fusil de Chasse in Walnut, correct front sight with proper placement, and I have another Centermark Fusil de Chasse stocked in dark curly maple, the maple stocked fusil has never given me cause to feel sorry for purchasing it and it shoots every bit as well as the one in walnut.
Since the mid '70's I've attended Rendezvous, R & I war era events and belonged to a Rev. War irregular militia unit and never once has any of the other participants ever suggested that my Centermark fusil wasn't welcomed or out of place.
Over that time I can't even guess at the numbers of line shoots and woods walks that I've participated in using one or the other of my French fusils and they have always been well received, my first Type D was made for me by Sweet William who served as the resident gun builder at Old Williamsburg VA., my second custom Fusil de Chasse was purchased at Dixen's Fair, both were excellent replicas, neither one was identical to the other, both were great shooters, both fine examples of the gun makers art, I suppose some might turn their noses up at my French Fusils de Chasse, Personally, I'm happy not to be one of them.

Last edited:
Congrats on your "new to you Centermark Fusil de Chasse, I have been fortunate enough to own two of them, I got my first one about 25 years ago, it's in Walnut and in great shape, shot allot but well cared for, my second one came to me about four years ago, it's stocked in dark curly maple, the original owner ordered it special from Centermark in the early '90's, he hadn't shot it in years because of poor health and decided to sell it, it wasn't cheap, but well worth the price, once I got it home and cleaned the years of dust and cigar smoke off of it it was much nicer than I had expected.
I'm sure you're going to like it once you get accustomed to it, I've had a couple of dozen rock scratchers over the years, still own a half a dozen customs and the Centermark Fusil de Chasse is my favorite.
One thing you should know about those Fusils is that the solder that Centermark used back then wasn't the same as makers use today, over time that old stuff deteriorates and the barrel will separate from the blocks that hold the barrel pins in place, I've had both of mine resoldered with the newer type solder and they are fine.
The smith that did mine is Ed Parry (Black Hart Period Arms) from CT., he used some kind of heat sink paste on the barrel to keep from messing up the original finish.
If yours hasn't been done you might want to consider having a period gun smith take a look at it to check out the solder, or if it's not lose, keep a eye out for it, it's not a big deal to fix and it can't hurt the gun, but if one of more of the solders break it'll need to be taken apart and resoldered.
Hmmmm ....interesting . I appreciate ya tellin me all that . I'll check it out completely before shooting it . ...Thanks !!

About 20 years ago a friend called Centermark just to see if anything was available. They said, no, just one that was returned by a customer. They had browned the barrel and fitted it for a bayonet, and that was not what the customer wanted. So my friend snapped it up at a much reduced price, bayonet and all. He was very happy. I called myself on the off-chance I might get lucky. I didn't. But . . I then called Jack Garner who did have a gun he wanted to get rid of (because of some disagreement with Rice). That is my "shooter" for the last 20 years. But I still want a Centermark. If it's good enough for Chingachgook then it's good enough for me. (And I did get to see his gun once at Chimney Rock, NC.)

About 20 years ago a friend called Centermark just to see if anything was available. They said, no, just one that was returned by a customer. They had browned the barrel and fitted it for a bayonet, and that was not what the customer wanted. So my friend snapped it up at a much reduced price, bayonet and all. He was very happy. I called myself on the off-chance I might get lucky. I didn't. But . . I then called Jack Garner who did have a gun he wanted to get rid of (because of some disagreement with Rice). That is my "shooter" for the last 20 years. But I still want a Centermark. If it's good enough for Chingachgook then it's good enough for me. (And I did get to see his gun once at Chimney Rock, NC.)
Thanks for the reply, I also came to know about Centermark Fusils shortly before they stopped taking orders, they said that they had a backlog of orders that they had to fill and that when those were done that would be the end of their production.
But it wasn't the end of my searching for one, when I did finally find one it was worth my wait, by that time I had owned several custom Fusil de Chasse fowlers from different makers, all of them great guns in their own right but until I started shooting my Centermark I never really appreciated a long gun as much as that Centermark Fusil de Chasse.
Good luck in your search my friend, if you are lucky enough to find one I know it will become one of your favorites as well, BTW, the movie was great, I watched it again a couple of nights ago.

A friend has a Fusil De Chasse that is slightly different than mine. Both are Centermark. His side plate is different and fitted with sling attachments. They were purchased just a couple of Months apart.
We met a gentleman at several events who participated as a French marine and his had bands to hold the barrel in and was essentially a heavy duty version. Can remember who made his. But I’d say the t was more military than civilian in design.

A friend has a Fusil De Chasse that is slightly different than mine. Both are Centermark. His side plate is different and fitted with sling attachments. They were purchased just a couple of Months apart.
We met a gentleman at several events who participated as a French marine and his had bands to hold the barrel in and was essentially a heavy duty version. Can remember who made his. But I’d say the t was more military than civilian in design.
Centermark made a couple of different models and offered some custom modifications, my first Centermark is the standard civilian model which is the Fusil de Chasse stocked in Walnut (Hunting Gun), my second one is also a Fusil de Chasse but it's stocked in curly maple and has factory installed sling attachments.
Centermark also made a Military Model, it was basically the same lock and barrel set into a beefier stock, it had sling attachments, and barrel bands that held the stock in place, I'm not sure if it had a bayonet lug, I don't think it did, it may have taken a socket bayonett.

Centermark made a couple of different models and offered some custom modifications, my first Centermark is the standard civilian model which is the Fusil de Chasse stocked in Walnut (Hunting Gun), my second one is also a Fusil de Chasse but it's stocked in curly maple and has factory installed sling attachments.
Centermark also made a Military Model, it was basically the same lock and barrel set into a beefier stock, it had sling attachments, and barrel bands that held the stock in place, I'm not sure if it had a bayonet lug, I don't think it did, it may have taken a

Centermark also made a Military Model, it was basically the same lock and barrel set into a beefier stock, it had sling attachments, and barrel bands that held the stock in place, I'm not sure if it had a bayonet lug, I don't think it did, it may have taken a socket bayonett.
My 1st Flintlock was a type D Center Mark. Plain maple $650.00 sounds about right. Mine came from them when they were still in PA. Might have been the most accurate Smooth bore I have ever had. It wasn't fussy shot round ball and shot both well.

Thanks guys for the responses. Now I know a little bit about Centermark. So, approximately what years would you say Centermark was in business ?

Rick

Fusil de Chasse came in 3 slight variations. Early Tulle without a wedding bad where the octagon went round, Later (1720) Tulle that had the wedding bands, and St.Ettiene that had slightly different furnishings. Tulle guns had 44” +/- barrels, were usually about .61-.64” in bore and usually had steel mounts. Some brass mounted guns are recorded. And about 500 were made in musket bore .69”. St Ettiene guns had steel mounts and 46 +/-“ barrels with shorter barrel flats. ALL AS IMPORTED, FDCs had full length walnut stocks and NO sling provisions. There were some fancier grades of FDC made.

Last edited:
Glad ya got this one. Your excitement is obvious and makes me want one even more. Been wanting a Fusil for several years but just haven't been ready to pull the trigger though. The only flint smoothie in my collection right now is a cheap little Spanish half stock 28 gauge. Trying to build out my "rest of my life" ML hunting collection so I'm gonna need three more: a Fusil de chasse, a Dutch club butt Fowler, and a Rob Miller "Rosie". Then I can die a happy guy.

Back