• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Game bag

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dyemaker

50 Cal.
Reaction score
How were birds and small game carried after it was killed back in the 1700's. Was it an open woven hemp bag of some sort? I saw a photo and was curious what it was exactly. :hmm:

The bag pictured on page 16 appears to be what I call a shooting bag, or hunting bag. Others might call it a Possibles bag. I do not think it is a bag for carrying game. The weave is unique.
A simple haversack would serve for carrying small game, or perhaps an open weave bag of some sort and of similar size to a haversack might have been used by the town dandy or gentleman farmer. Or just a old feed sack could be used.
I have seen fancy shooting bags with attached leather straps with metal rings hanging down from them. The strap is pulled through the ring, the critter's foot is inserted in the loop, and it is then drawn tight, letting the animal or bird dangle securly attached to the bag.
However, it is easy to just tie a critter's feet together and hang it over your belt.
Of course you would get blood all over your leg if you did that. As a kid, many were the times when my Mother would yell at me for bloodying up my bluejeans that way.

One thing for sure it is not crochet like is stated. Makes me wonder about it being a fake. I was told crochet wasn't even made yet. Maybe macrame. I had joined a group of historical knitters for info about dyeing with natural dyes for my flytying materials. A couple of them wrote they would like to duplicate it if there was a better photo.

Well it was said now that it is a leather shooting bag with a fringed decorative covering made of hemp or whatever it is, sewn into the leather

:confused:

Back