• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gamebags and skinning small game

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ny griz said:
:idunno: What about soaking the sack in melted wax? :idunno: Griz

My experience tells me that would be a lot like sticking them in a plastic bag. Fine for short term or in cooler weather, but nasty for long term especially if it was warmish. I like them to cool and drain pretty quickly, so even my bird bags are porous.

BrownBear said:
ny griz said:
:idunno: What about soaking the sack in melted wax? :idunno: Griz

My experience tells me that would be a lot like sticking them in a plastic bag. Fine for short term or in cooler weather, but nasty for long term especially if it was warmish. I like them to cool and drain pretty quickly, so even my bird bags are porous.

I like them to cool and drain pretty quickly, so even my bird bags are porous.

Yep!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Here's my "game bag".

HPIM2725.jpg

It ain't quite so "purty" as this now but mostly so. And it's pretty porous.

Spence, Nice bag. It looks like it has seen plenty of use. How heavy is the canvas?

Stumpkiller said:
Here's my "game bag".

HPIM2725.jpg

It ain't quite so "purty" as this now but mostly so. And it's pretty porous.

Stumpkiller, What material is your bag made of?

I just thought of something I saw in the Dollar Tree. It was a package of what they are calling flour sacks. It almost looked like pillowcases. Light weight and looked breathable. With a little re-enforcing and some goods straps they should work out just fine and for $1.00 it's worth a try. :grin:

stumpkiller
I was thinking of using a bag like yours and dyed like it but then put melted beeswax on the back of it only, leaving the front untreated to breath. This would tend to protect your clothes to some degree but still allow cooling of the game?
Macon

I cut a stick about twice the size of pencil and slit their back leg tendon, and string them on there. I attach the stick the the belt loops on the side/back of my jeans and let em hang as I slip along. Early season when it is hot, they stay cooler that way, instead of being piled on top of each other in a stuffy game bag.

Good luck

Just a warning that some "garbage bags" contain chemicals that can be toxic...I don't mean IN the bag, I mean ON the bag's surface. The chemicals are something to keep germs/bacteria down to control odors and such. A butcher once advised me of this and recommended only using food-grade bags for meat...and no, he wasn't selling me bags! :grin:

Supercracker said:
Do you have a trick for not getting the hair all over the meat? I do rabbits the same way but I always end up with a bunch of hair to wash off.

For squirrels, I dunk them in water and get the fur wet. It tends not to be such a problem then and what does get on the meat comes off easier.

Supercracker i've read somewhere that velcro would remove hair from meat. :idunno: I have not tried this method but it sounds logical to me.

Brent said:
For squirrels, I dunk them in water and get the fur wet. It tends not to be such a problem then and what does get on the meat comes off easier.
I skin them then rinse the meat with water, unless I'm going to eat them for dinner that night at camp, in which case I don't worry about the little bit of hair, which seems to pretty much burn off rosted over the campfire.

A length of leather string beats a bag any day. 4 or 10 small game carcasses packed in a bag and warmed against your body are not going to cool to quick.

rinse the meat with water

water has no place on meat! If you must 'wash' meat wipe it down with a bit of vinegar. For small game gut em and let the air at em. Water is the fastest way to spoil good food. In the bush you can carry a bit of acetic acid powder and mix up a wash but really keep water off your meat. Dry crusty blood is not a bacteria's chosen home but a damp cavity at 85 f is asking for serious trouble. And no you can't get the water back out from the meat. Once it gets between the muscle groups it is there to stay.

You can hang dry meat for a very very long time to no ill effect but meat that has been sprayed with water goes bad super quick.

Capt. Are you using this bag for feathered or furry critters? Or both? I hadn't thought about a belt bag. :thumbsup:

Linc said:
Capt. Are you using this bag for feathered or furry critters? Or both? I hadn't thought about a belt bag. :thumbsup:

There are some who use my game bags for both but I have only used mine for birding to date. This style goes back to middle ages at least and is found in many 17th and 18th century English paintings. It can be worn on the waist or over the shoulder. Both ways are depicted.

fowler2.jpg

Back