• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gap from breech block to paper cartridge in Shiloh Sharps 1863

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robbd258

32 Cal
Reaction score
I recently purchased a Farmingdale 1863, 54cal and when I make paper cartridges for it with 60 grains BP, I have a gap of about 1/8" or more to the breech block. The chamber is long in this gun, I don't know if this is normal for the Farmingdales. In all the voutube videos I have watched of people making paper cartridges, no one has mentioned this, other than to find out how deep the chamber is. Also, if I just insert a bullet, and pour in 60 gr of powder, I will have an air gap also, but maybe not an ignition problem as the powder is exposed directly to the spark. I want to take the gun to the range, but want to make functional paper cartridges first. Does the gap matter?

@Phil Coffins on here loads his with round ball and loose powder and reports excellent groups!

I’d say the gap doesn’t matter as long as the cap in the cartridge. But to do do, if you need to pull the cartridge back from the throat, that could degrade accuracy.

@dave951 on here is one of our resident Sharps experts, and I’m sure he’ll weigh in!

I just spoke to Kirk a Shiloh, and he told me that the gap is no problem. Thank you for responding to my post, any recommendations you have are welcome as I am new to these rifles.
Any experience loading a bullet and pouring powder behind it? I do plan on measuring the dose, and Kirk did warn me that being sloppy can blow the forearm off the gun.

Seat a bullet in the chamber far enough to engage the rifling. Measure from the base of the bullet to the rear of the chamber and add for how much the cartridge overlaps the base off the bullet. That becomes your cartridge length and brings the tail end of the cartridge up to the face of the breach block which gives better ignition. Pour your 60 grain charge and follow it with a cardboard wad to keep the powder to the rear of the cartridge. An air space from the wad to the base of the bullet is not a problem. Another option is to use Charlie Hahn's pre made cardboard tubes instead of making cartridges. However, they are made to be used with a ringtail bullet.

The gap is not a problem other than if it's too large, ignition may suffer.

As for loading loose powder, you "can" do it, but why? If you're sloppy in pouring the loose powder, any spillage can migrate a bit and maybe blow the forearm off. That happened historically. Best path is plan to either make cartridges or use Charlie's Tubes and be happy.

Back