• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help identifying unique flintlock pistol!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys, I recently stumbled upon an intriguing flintlock pistol that looks like it might be from the late 1600s-early 1700s. I believe the pistol is a 65 cal., has a part round part octagon smoothbore barrel measuring 12 3/8”. The lock is marked “K&C”.

I have seen a similar example online that was identified as early 1700s French, but any help would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_1317.jpeg
    IMG_1317.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1318.jpeg
    IMG_1318.jpeg
    818.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1319.jpeg
    IMG_1319.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1320.jpeg
    IMG_1320.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1321.jpeg
    IMG_1321.jpeg
    974.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1322.jpeg
    IMG_1322.jpeg
    788 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1323.jpeg
    IMG_1323.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
The lock is not original to the pistol. The pistol has some Austro-Hungarian early 18th century feeling about it. Maybe a Turkish/Balkan copy of a Grenzer/Hussar pistol ? Or something cobbled together from parts ?

The lock is not original to the pistol. The pistol has some Austro-Hungarian early 18th century feeling about it. Maybe a Turkish/Balkan copy of a Grenzer/Hussar pistol ? Or something cobbled together from parts ?
I was discussing it with someone and he believes it might be an early 18th century French sea service pistol. Don’t know if this checks out with what you observed.

What is your opinion on the rest of the gun? I’m definitely more knowledgeable in the space of long guns.

I don't know what to think. The furniture is all over the place. The trigger guard seem more like 18th century English, the escutcheon is an odd shape and engraved, where as the side plate is very plain and of a style that seems like it doesn't fit at all. The lock like I mentioned above is not original to the gun, or might not even be old.

Id class it as a tourist gun, Mid Eastern maybe, one that some one put a lock on. Just my guess, I am no authority.

Im starting to believe its a crude copy of something like the French Mle 1733 or the Austrian Muster 1744, but of much lower quality. And Im ignoring the lock completely because I have no idea what that thing is.
EDIT > Check the barrel. If its straight and properly made than atleas that part might be from a real pistol, althou the Austrian caliber was more like 68-69

This pistol is one of those head-scratchers. A photo of the pan and vent hole relationship might tell us more. It looks to me that it started life as a complete pistol. The original lock and side plate eventually missing. The current lock and side plate (and possibly the trigger guard) added later - probably in the 20th Century.

Rick

I don't know what to think. The furniture is all over the place. The trigger guard seem more like 18th century English, the escutcheon is an odd shape and engraved, where as the side plate is very plain and of a style that seems like it doesn't fit at all. The lock like I mentioned above is not original to the gun, or might not even be old.

Id class it as a tourist gun, Mid Eastern maybe, one that some one put a lock on. Just my guess, I am no authority.

"Id class it as a tourist gun, Mid Eastern maybe, one that some one put a lock on."

Agreed it certainly has that look to it.

Hey guys, I recently stumbled upon an intriguing flintlock pistol that looks like it might be from the late 1600s-early 1700s. I believe the pistol is a 65 cal., has a part round part octagon smoothbore barrel measuring 12 3/8”. The lock is marked “K&C”.

I have seen a similar example online that was identified as early 1700s French, but any help would be much appreciated.

I don’t see much French influencing here.

The hardware and Barrel makes me thing it’s an Italian pistol, Italians made a lot of fancy holster style pistols like this one. The octagon to round feature of the barrel could be Spanish, French or Italian. The lock is not an early lock at all.

I would remove the barrel, see what markings are on the underside.

It looks just like a modern tourist gun I owned a while ago. Removing the lock and looking at the wood under that lock is a good way of telling an antique from a modern reproduction. An antique' wood will be dark, oiled and possibly cracking. If a tourist gun the lock mechanism will likely be poorly made.

Back