• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gardening ..again

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hopefully next season will turn out better Louis. That weed barrier is the cats behind. Not sure how big of a patch you grow, but i hardly have to weed at all. Just a few here and there where I burned the holes in to put the plants. And they pluck out pretty easy.
I normally manage to keep the weeds to a minimum when I can get out there and do a little chopping. But here lately it's been hot and I've got a case of the "lazys"(Dr's. Orders)

I normally manage to keep the weeds to a minimum when I can get out there and do a little chopping. But here lately it's been hot and I've got a case of the "lazys"(Dr's. Orders)
Between the late frost, deer and weeds last year, we didn't get to enjoy too much. Everything we planted this season, minus the lettuce, is doing good. Even the tomatoes that were damaged in a storm are ok, even if they are a bit shorter.

IMG_5788.jpeg

yellow squash

IMG_5815.jpeg

Hopefully next season will turn out better Louis. That weed barrier is the cats behind. Not sure how big of a patch you grow, but i hardly have to weed at all. Just a few here and there where I burned the holes in to put the plants. And they pluck out pretty easy.
what kind of weed barrier are you using? That’s been my bane the past few years, too.

(Sorry if it was discussed earlier…. I don’t have the time to go back and read all the pages of the topic…)

what kind of weed barrier are you using? That’s been my bane the past few years, too.

(Sorry if it was discussed earlier…. I don’t have the time to go back and read all the pages of the topic…)
It's a black barrier mesh kinda deal. Mamma ordered it off Amazon for me. After you till, and let the ground settle, roll it out to length, cut and use ground staples to hold it down. I used a butane torch to burn holes (won't fray that way) where your plants grow. Wish I started using it years ago.

Attachments

• IMG_20240603_193507147.jpg
    IMG_20240603_193507147.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
I've used that stuff.. black stuff between rows.

Grass works too..

I used to grass clipping between the rows.

I did the rows like a trench. Run the hose on one end and wait for
the water to run down to the bottom. Clear the clogs along the way. You still have to weed the rows but it's not bad.

Now.. I think I'm doing a good square garden space.. get a nice fence and gate... next year..

I just been dumping my used soil there.

I changed my soil mix..

I'm in half coast of Maine Stonington.. half coco blitz..

It's a nice mix.

Feeding I don't know yet... I've been using my k cups for a second coffee brew and adding that into gallon.. so like a 1/4 gallon of brew coffee too a Gallon..

Plus a half teaspoon of coast of Maine... lobster and crab meal. In the gallon of coffee.

I've used that stuff.. black stuff between rows.

Grass works too..

I used to grass clipping between the rows.

I did the rows like a trench. Run the hose on one end and wait for
the water to run down to the bottom. Clear the clogs along the way. You still have to weed the rows but it's not bad.
The only weeds I get is where they pop up in the holes I burned in. And they are weakly rooted and pluck right out. I covered my whole patch with the stuff. It came in a roll 5'x300'. I've got enough to last a long time. It's supposed to be good for 3 to 5 years. We'll see.

Is not as pricey as it was I think..

you still want to have to turn the garden over in the spring..

Id till in the fall too.. pull it out nice shake and fold.. till it all up.

Is not as pricey as it was I think..

you still want to have to turn the garden over in the spring..

Id till in the fall too.. pull it out nice shake and fold.. till it all up.
I've read where some folks have left it in place and put compost in each individual hole when replanting. Goes against everything I've ever done. But I'm still figuring it out.

I liked grass clipping over..

adds good nutrients in there..
I just harvested more for the garden.

The black stuff is nice to crawl on cleaner. Use less water watering each plant individually.

I wish y'all could see the "jungle" my garden is turning into. The weeds are taking over. I really need to chop down the bigger ones , they are going to seed.But for medical reasons I can not at this time. It's gonna be a mess next year.

Attachments

• 17201090920637276773175323299321.jpg
    17201090920637276773175323299321.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
I wish y'all could see the "jungle" my garden is turning into. The weeds are taking over. I really need to chop down the bigger ones , they are going to seed.But for medical reasons I can not at this time. It's gonna be a mess next year.
Been there friend. Don't take long for weeds to take over. Seems once it gets to a certain point there is nothing you can do. Give that barrier stuff a try. I'm really glad I did. The drip irrigation too. Keeps the dirt from splashing up and harming my tomato plants. I don't waste a bunch of water either.

Back