• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gardening ..again

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it came in a roll 5 x 300, how did you make it be one big sheet? Did you sew it together or does it fold out wider than the 5’ ?
That is 3, 5' sections slightly overlapping. I used a lot of heavy duty garden staples to "tack" it down. There are several good videos on YT you can watch. My patch is only 12' x 28'. Easiest year I've ever had weeding. What weeds I do get, just pluck right out. The barrier, coupled with the drip irrigation I did, no going back for this hombre.

My daughter's garden doing good.. we used the flower bed.

Strawberries. Blackberries.. a tomatoe. Blueberry. Salad.

Attachments

• 20240704_195148.jpg
    20240704_195148.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240704_195123.jpg
    20240704_195123.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
That is 3, 5' sections slightly overlapping. I used a lot of heavy duty garden staples to "tack" it down. There are several good videos on YT you can watch. My patch is only 12' x 28'. Easiest year I've ever had weeding. What weeds I do get, just pluck right out. The barrier, coupled with the drip irrigation I did, no going back for this hombre.
That sounds like a plan... I set up soaker hose irrigation every year until this year, and next year I'm going to get some of that weed mat and go to town with it. This fall and winter I'll do some green manure crops and get a load of compost to till in before I cover it. Weeds have been just killing me, just like what @Eutycus has been going thru. Seems like you blink your eyes and they're up to knee high! I wrecked my elbows a couple of years ago pulling weeds, so now that they're better, I really HATE pulling on any big weeds.

My garden is 42 x 80, fenced with high tension wire up to 9 feet, a 2' rabbit wire layer at the bottom, 2x4 wire up to 6 feet over the rabbit wire, and two hot strands that'll just about set you on fire if you come in contact with it. Critters haven't been a problem since I added the second strand between the outer strand and the 2x4 wire. Coons were climbing up and over the 2x4 layer and getting by the hot strand to wreck my corn until then. It looks sorta like a prison yard 😬 I've thought about dividing it in half, putting a mesh roof over half and running chickens on that side.

Here's a picture from 2016 during much happier times, before the weeds overran me. I wanna get it back to something like this...

IMG_4032.JPG

I liked grass clipping over..

adds good nutrients in there..
I just harvested more for the garden.

The black stuff is nice to crawl on cleaner. Use less water watering each plant individually.

That sounds like a plan... I set up soaker hose irrigation every year until this year, and next year I'm going to get some of that weed mat and go to town with it. This fall and winter I'll do some green manure crops and get a load of compost to till in before I cover it. Weeds have been just killing me, just like what @Eutycus has been going thru. Seems like you blink your eyes and they're up to knee high! I wrecked my elbows a couple of years ago pulling weeds, so now that they're better, I really HATE pulling on any big weeds.

My garden is 42 x 80, fenced with high tension wire up to 9 feet, a 2' rabbit wire layer at the bottom, 2x4 wire up to 6 feet over the rabbit wire, and two hot strands that'll just about set you on fire if you come in contact with it. Critters haven't been a problem since I added the second strand between the outer strand and the 2x4 wire. Coons were climbing up and over the 2x4 layer and getting by the hot strand to wreck my corn until then. It looks sorta like a prison yard 😬 I've thought about dividing it in half, putting a mesh roof over half and running chickens on that side.

Here's a picture from 2016 during much happier times, before the weeds overran me. I wanna get it back to something like this...

View attachment 331877
Yaa. I can see where weeding a garden like that would be a full time job with overtime. I think you will be happy with the weed barrier. Ive noticed a lot of nurseries in my area use it. Not sure how protected from the wind your patch is, but mine gets a fair amount, so definitely staple down the windward side down well. Als I recommend cutting a bit long and folding the ends under to keep it from fraying. Guarantee you'll have more time to fish, not having to set aside hours every day to weed.

Back