• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

George Washington's knife

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jelder24

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I recently acquired a camillus replica of the knife george washington's mother gave him after he gave up his commision in the navy at her request. It is a small one-bladed pen knife with mother of pearl handles. It supposedly was copied directly from the original that ow resides in the George washington masonic national memorial. If antone knows anything about this fine knife, I appreciate your feedback. Thanks!!

I bought my son a Camillus replica of that knife just like yours. It is not an exact replica, of course, as it uses faux pearl and stainless steel--neither of which were around in old George's time. These were made in a limited edition a few years back. There are earlier versions on the collectors market as well. The original knife was made in England, as were most pocket knives used in America during that period. The British made the finest pen knives ever. An original (not even George's) would be worth several hundred bucks. I almost bought one for reenacting, but couldn't get by the fake pearl and stainless problem.

jelder24 said:
I recently acquired a camillus replica of the knife george washington's mother gave him after he gave up his commision in the navy at her request.

Sorry to get off topic of your knife, but when was George Washington in the Navy? :confused:

Sorry to get off topic of your knife, but when was George Washington in the Navy? :confused:
[/quote]

I've never heard that either.

I'm not sure of my history but he could have been offered a commission and turned it down.

My father had to do that in WW2 due to illness in the family.

This oft repeated story is associated with the masonic lodges. As the story goes, Washington's brother mason, Henry Knox, who knew the story of the knife that Washington always carried, reminded him of the mother's admonition that went with it to dissuade Washington from resigning his commission during the dark days of The Revolutionary War. It may or may not be based on a true incident in Washington's youth, but it is most likely another of the idealized legends inspired by the greatness of the man. According to the story, Washington was never in the RN, but, through the influence of his brother and prominent friends, he had been offered a midshipmans commission which he refused because he could not go against his mother's wishes.

sorry to have confused you. the story was that his half brother, after doing some time in the king's navy, had secured his younger (11 years) brother george a commision as a midshipman. his mother's brother sent her a letter reccomending against and george then at her request, turned down the commision. the pen knife was a gift of sorts for obeying her wishes, with the injunction "always obey your superiors." Thanks for the responses!!!

Either Blade or Knives illustrated had an article on the original knife a few years back, I think blade, complete with pictures and the Knox story. When I get some time I'll dig up the issue for you.

Camillus makes a wonderful knife, I have a modern folding Camilus that I use only for gutting deer and I've never had to sharpen it. I'm amazed at its quality. I'm also very careful with it and use it spareingly

Back