• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Getting back up to speed

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use whatever targets I have laying around, sometimes it's just a paper plate. When you say they don't allow off-hand shooting, you mean standing down range, or at the bench? Try shooting with just resting your elbows on the bench.

I have a sheet consisting of 6 individual targets with 3 in the top row and 3 in the bottom row of 50 yard round ball rifle targets stamped with the official seal of the NMLRA.
The entire target circle is 5 7/8's inches in diameter measuring across the center. As close as I can measure, the black portion of the target is 2 7/8's inches.
I have only a portion of another larger scoring target that I can't say with authority what it's supposed to be. It does have at least 2 of the above 50 yard targets printed on it, along with a larger one that is only partial and unlabeled.
It is overall larger, but the black when line up with the previous 50 yard targets above is only minutly larger than the entire target. That would make the black approximately 6 inches in diameter, and I would guess this is the 100 yard target, but whether it's roundball or not I don't know.
I have an official North-South Skirmish Association 100 yard Rifled Musket-Carbine Target and the black is almost if not exactly 8 inches in diameter.
These last 2 mentioned targets when lined up together have the exact same scoring rings though, only the black portions are different.
The NSSA target have less scoring rings overall so there are 2 scoring rings of NMLRA value for each one of NSSA. But I can verify the 7 inch NMLRA black from it though.

I have a 200 yard Official NMLRA Target where the black measures 12 inches in diameter, if you are interested in knowing. It is otherwise unlabeled except for "200 YD-1".

My club informally uses the 50 yard NMLRA round ball targets at 25 yard shoots. I cannot recall ever seeing an
official 25 yard target.

Hope this helps enough! :redthumb:

Too late to edit the contradiction in the last post. There is no 7 inch black diameter NMLRA 100 yard target. I can verify that the NMLRA black diameter is 6 inches. I am surmising it is for 100 yards & relatively sure. The 7 inches was an error! :sorry:

The entire NMLRA 100 yard target is 12 inches/6" black.
The entire NSSA 100 yard target is 20 inches/8" black.
The entire NMLRA 200 yard target is 20 inches/12" black.

Hope this helps enough! :redthumb:
That's great. Thanks.
To recap: roughly a 3" sighting area at 25 & 50, and a 6" area at 100.
I didn't want to get used to sighting on something too large, and then one day stepping up to the line at an organized shoot and wonder why the bull suddenly looks so small! :eek:

you say they don't allow off-hand shooting, you mean standing down range, or at the bench? Try shooting with just resting your elbows on the bench.
No offhand (standing) at all. You must be sitting at the bench. Elbows on (or off for that matter) is okay as long as you are sitting at the bench.

I've got to start looking into what other rifle ranges are around.

Thanks for the replies. :hatsoff:

Dave

Back