• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Getting in to black powder in PA

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all! I am new to the black powder scene and am looking to acquire a Rem. New Model Army reproduction soon! Any recommendations for ancillary equipment (cleaning, disassembly tools, etc.) and/or ranges in the western PA area that are friendly to a whole bunch of smoke would be greatly appreciated!

Hello and welcome from Columbia County. Can't really help ya with the questions though, am a flintlock rifle kinda guy but plenty of knowledgeable folks here.

Welcome from the Lehigh Valley. Sorry I can't help with ranges, being on the eastern side of the state, but there are others here who live out your way.
Glad you found the place.

Horst Auctioneers regularly has things that I bid on. You can get someone's used kit at auction which contains everything that you could need for a pretty reasonable price. I keep bidding on antique muzzleloaders, but won't bid quite as high, because shipping is a killer.

Hello from Union county PA.

Caps, caps then some more caps. If your revolver nipples won't seat #11's, I would suggest ordering some slixshot nipples. Hopefully you have a shop out your way that sells 3F black. If not, I know of 2 near me. Hopefully you have an experienced C&B shooter near you that can go out with you first couple of times. Study the threads on here too. Tons of useful information. Just be advised, it's addicting, and you will have more than one before you know it. Most importantly, have fun and be safe.

Where about in western pa you at. I can help you getting answers to all your questions.
I live in Pittsburgh! It appears that there is at least one store near the city, Ace Sporting Goods, who regularly carries Goex FFF. However, if anyone has recommendations for other stores or ranges in there area, I'm all ears! Thank you for the welcome everyone, I am quite excited to get started!

As a side note to the Mods, can you please clarify the requirements to reply in the Classified Forum to make a purchase? I know that the rules there state that as a prerequisite one must be a member for 14 days with five posts - are those the requirements to make a listing, or is that the required activity before before I can participate in any capacity in that section?

Hello all! I am new to the black powder scene and am looking to acquire a Rem. New Model Army reproduction soon! Any recommendations for ancillary equipment (cleaning, disassembly tools, etc.) and/or ranges in the western PA area that are friendly to a whole bunch of smoke would be greatly appreciated!

Hello and welcome. Where in western PA do you live? We have a club in the Erie area, Fort Erie Muzzleloaders. We have monthly scheduled shoots. Our Info can be found on our facebook website.

Back