• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

GO-JO as patch lube and cleaner

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lone Carabiner

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Seen lots of feedback :bull: on elaborate homebrewed lubes and expensive store bought 'in a tube' stuff but you ever try GO-JO? It's my favorite and is great for wiping the bore with also. Since I thought to try it I've got two tubes of the expensive stuff that I bought to replace lard just sitting. Cheap too, get the regular not the kind with pumice in it.
Patches saturated with it will dry some if you set 'em in the sun for awhile, not as messy in the field.

The hand cleaner that comes in the white plastic tubs. Auto zone sells it for 1$ a tub on special.
Has lanolin in it, never had a gun rust up after cleaning with it either and final wipe-down.

What makes it special is that the lanolin has a polar end and the other end is not polar. The polar end allows it to grab the salts just like water does. The non polar end is the grease part. Worth a try, GC

The GoJo website and original product:[url] http://www.gojo.com/product/product.asp?productid=13[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopefully you won't have enough 'fouling' to require a scalding hot water scrub but if you do try GO-JO first :rotf:

Seen lots of feedback on elaborate homebrewed lubes and expensive store bought 'in a tube' stuff but you ever try GO-JO?

You know what they say.Whatever floats your Boat. :hmm:

Seems like it could work. I know if you leave the top off of the tub it doesn't evaporate so it must not have a bunch of water in it. It tends to turn a bit brown but still works.

Might be interesting to read about all the things that definitely don't work.

Clutch

I'd like to know what the 'Long Hunters' used whrn afield. Hardwood ash mixed with rendered fat makes soap, you know - did they use this to clean their guns with?

I shot your GoJo patch lube in a test. This is in a flintlock I built from Muzzleloader Builder Supply parts for a rifle "after the manner of Christian Beck". A small rifle for a woman, young adult, or me. Has a Pecatonica stock, 12.5" length of pull, 36" 13/16" .40 Green Mountain barrel and small Siler lock, single trigger. With 40 grains of Goex 3F and pink and white pillow ticking, about .012, and my lube of Murphy Oil Soap and 91% alcohol 60/40, it shot six .400 TOW cast balls into 1.5" at 50 yards, 1553 fps, 22 spread. Then with no cleaning or wiping after 25 shots till then, it shot the same load but patches wiped with GoJo into 1.8" for six shots, 1560 fps, 26 spread. Same point of impact, same velocity and spread and accuracy. Loaded almost "slick". I like the stuff, thanks. It also cleaned the double carpet tape stickum off my coning tool, which is difficult to remove. At Ace Hardware, 18 oz cost 3.29, but another store had what may have been 16 oz at 2.29. One tub ought to last me. Thanks for the tip.

Advance auto has it on special ever now and then for 1.19 a 20 oz. tub. This stuff is real good when the weather is cold. If you're camped out it works great for clean-up/wipe-down too.
I checked the ingredients and behold it is similar to "MooseSnot" with the exception of substitute ingredients that are much alike and addition of other stuff.

I saw a tub of this at wal-mart. was gonna get it and was reading the ingredients. it has water in it. is this okay? Does the small tube have water in it?

I've been using a Go-Joe and Mink oil combo 50/50 for patch lube for years. It works great for me. I just slightly heat up the combo and mix while cooling.

tx-hunter said:
I saw a tub of this at wal-mart. was gonna get it and was reading the ingredients. it has water in it. is this okay? Does the small tube have water in it?

The water in it is fine. Most of the black powder lubes and solvents are water based. You'll need to oil 'er up after cleaning, but you should do that anyway. :)

I only use bore butter but crisco always worked for me. As for a cheap cleaning solution. Mix 50/50 alcohol and 50% windex together and shake well before using. The windex breaks down the fouling while the alcohol Drys out all of the wetness in the barrel, Then give it a coat of Rem oil down the bore, Let sit a few minutes and wipe dry. I can shoot my .50 flintlock 10 times and use 6 patches and im done. It just washes all the crud away.

Lone Carabiner said:
Seen lots of feedback :bull: on elaborate homebrewed lubes and expensive store bought 'in a tube' stuff but you ever try GO-JO? It's my favorite and is great for wiping the bore with also. Since I thought to try it I've got two tubes of the expensive stuff that I bought to replace lard just sitting. Cheap too, get the regular not the kind with pumice in it.
Patches saturated with it will dry some if you set 'em in the sun for awhile, not as messy in the field.

I have to find some place that sells the non-pumice kind. Seems hard to find here.

Wally world has it here, Advance auto and Auto zone do also. Get the white tub, not the orange.
Just the 'Original Creme hand cleaner' in white tub

To each his own, I know,, But I tried gojo for bout a month and a half and found that when shootin for a few hours and havin the zip loc bag in the sun, the patches would dry out a lil, I added some virgin olive oil to it, but that didn't seem to help me out much, But I liked the idea so I tried some Goop, nother brand of hand cleaner, When I was at the store, I opened the can and put some on my finger then walked round the store for a while, and it stayed wet and moist, better then gojo, Now I also ad the olive oil to it (bout 15% oil to 85% goop) Been usin that mix for a month now, so far,, so good,,

I also ad food coloring to the mix so I can find my patches easier, diff color for diff time of year,,

Latest posts

Back